cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Does Creo simulate impact between two parts?

patrickvega
1-Newbie

Does Creo simulate impact between two parts?

Hi,

Can anyone tell me whether creo can simulate a collision/impact between two objects for example a ball and a bat?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
4 REPLIES 4

Patrick,

You can create a modal analysis of the bat, and then create a dynamic time analysis to see how the bat vibrates after the impact. This is provided you know the force history of the contact between ball and bat. Typically I would apply a half-sine force pulse with a short duration. If the force history actually looks like that, I don't know.

To create a detailed dynamic analysis of the ball/bat contact, how the ball and bat deforms during impact etc. would require an explicit analysis, and this you can not do in creo simulate. Here is cool animation from a golf club/ball impact done i Abaqus:

Golf Ball Impact Simulation - YouTube

Steven, it would be fantastic if PTC could implement explicit analysis. I didn't know it was possible to create "product ideas", I might add something myself.

I do think however that there are other things in Creo Simulate that PTC should focus on first, that concern post-processing, use beams in nonlinear models, contact with friction etc.

How do you post product ideas by the way? I have looked through the PTC community but I can't find anything... Or is that only for PTC-staff/partners?

It seems I'm not authorized to create product ideas... 😕

This is what I wrote:

"

It would be very useful to include beam elements in nonlinear models.

In many cases beams are useful to connect different parts to model joints and connections of various types, for example screws, hinges etc.

It would be very useful to be able to use beam elements in models with nonlinear effects, such as large deformations, contacts and plasticity.

The beam itself does not need to be able to capture any nonlinear effect, other than "rigid body motion" i.e. the beam must be able to follow the structure and obtain a different orientation as the structure undergoes large deformation. But the beam itself does not need to be able to bend like a fishing rod; it can stay more or less straight, but with a different orientation in the deformed state. "

Top Tags