cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

WF2 Mechanism Weirdness

dgschaefer
21-Topaz II

WF2 Mechanism Weirdness

WF2, M220

I have an assy that has a mechanism driven sup assy in it.  There are no mechanism constraints in the top level assy.  When I open the top level assy, the mechanism moves but the limits and gear connections are all wrong, so it doesn't move far enough in the one direction and too far in the other.

The sub assy consists of 3 telescoping tubes and gear components so that when the center tube is dragged, the intermediate tube moves at half the speed of the center tube, relative to the outer tube.  I have limits set on the mechanism so that it extends fully, but only retracts partially.  When I open that assy on it's own and drag it, it works just fine, the intermediate tube tracks perfectly.

When open the top level, however, and try to drag it, the limits are messed up.  Actually, it looks like only the intermediate tube is moving with respect to the outer, the center is staying constant to the intermediate.  If I open the sub assy, I find that the relative positions of the three tubes is off.  It's as if the gear connection have been broken.

If, however, I simply open the sub assy first, no regen or dragging required, then close it before opening the top level assy, all is good.

It's maddening, because if I fail to open the sub assy first, then drag the top level, I've messed up the telescope.  I can't save it or it'll get saved in this state.  I have to erase everything and open it again.

Anyone seen this or have a fix?

Doug Schaefer

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
--
Doug Schaefer | Experienced Mechanical Design Engineer
LinkedIn
0 REPLIES 0
Announcements

Top Tags