cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Wish List function: Select components within proximity

DeanLong
10-Marble

Wish List function: Select components within proximity

It would be cool to be able to select within an assembly the parts and or sub assemblies within a specified "sphere" diameter.

For example, whenever I pick up an assembly from someone else and amtasked withrevising someting in a hurry there are a few things working against me.

1. I am not intimately familiar with the minutiaregarding thecomponent's fits and functions.

2. I may not know all the components (I.E. part numbers)that could be effected by my changes.

3. The biggest obstacle is I do not always know all the File names (I.E. part numbers) of those components that could be effected by my change. 400 parts and subs take time to sift through. Especially if naming conventions are esoteric or random.

So, it would be

As a second cool function, give methe opportunity to open them into a new assembly or Simplified Rep.

Has anyone come up with a way to do someting like this?

This thread is inactive and closed by the PTC Community Management Team. If you would like to provide a reply and re-open this thread, please notify the moderator and reference the thread. You may also use "Start a topic" button to ask a new question. Please be sure to include what version of the PTC product you are using so another community member knowledgeable about your version may be able to assist.
3 REPLIES 3
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite
(To:DeanLong)

On 07/13/11 09:29, Dean Long wrote:
> It would be cool to be able to select within an assembly the parts and or sub
> assemblies within a specified "sphere" diameter.
>
> For example, whenever I pick up an assembly from someone else and am tasked with
> revising someting in a hurry there are a few things working against me.
>
> 1. I am not intimately familiar with the menusha regarding the component's fits
> and functions.
>
> 2. I may not know all the components (I.E. part numbers) that could be effected
> by my changes.
>
> 3. The biggest obstacle is I do not always know all the File names (I.E. part
> numbers) of those components that could be effected by my change. 400 parts and
> subs take time to sift through. Especially if naming conventions are esoteric or
> random.
>
> *So, it would be REALLY COOL to have the ability to open an assembly, select the
> target component(s), either graphically or by Filename from the Tree, and then
> specify a sphere of, say 300mm around the target component, that would get
> selected as well. This easily and quickly focuses in on the effected components.*
>
> This way I know what parts "may" need to be addressed after I make the changes
> to the target. As it is now, it's essentially a blind search in the Model Tree.
>
> *As a second cool function, give me the opportunity to open them into a new
> assembly or Simplified Rep.*
>
> Has anyone come up with a way to do someting like this?
>

You are describing what zones are about. I don't think you can do a spherical
zone however you can define a box with datum planes.

--
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Randy Jones
Systems Administrator
Great Plains Mfg., Inc.
1525 E North St
PO Box 5060
Salina, KS USA 67401
email: -
Phone: 785-823-3276
Fax: 785-667-2695
------------------------------------------------------------------------
RandyJones
19-Tanzanite

On 07/13/11 09:39, Randy Jones wrote:
> On 07/13/11 09:29, Dean Long wrote:
>> It would be cool to be able to select within an assembly the parts and or sub
>> assemblies within a specified "sphere" diameter.
>>
>> For example, whenever I pick up an assembly from someone else and am tasked with
>> revising someting in a hurry there are a few things working against me.
>>
>> 1. I am not intimately familiar with the menusha regarding the component's fits
>> and functions.
>>
>> 2. I may not know all the components (I.E. part numbers) that could be effected
>> by my changes.
>>
>> 3. The biggest obstacle is I do not always know all the File names (I.E. part
>> numbers) of those components that could be effected by my change. 400 parts and
>> subs take time to sift through. Especially if naming conventions are esoteric or
>> random.
>>
>> *So, it would be REALLY COOL to have the ability to open an assembly, select the
>> target component(s), either graphically or by Filename from the Tree, and then
>> specify a sphere of, say 300mm around the target component, that would get
>> selected as well. This easily and quickly focuses in on the effected components.*
>>
>> This way I know what parts "may" need to be addressed after I make the changes
>> to the target. As it is now, it's essentially a blind search in the Model Tree.
>>
>> *As a second cool function, give me the opportunity to open them into a new
>> assembly or Simplified Rep.*
>>
>> Has anyone come up with a way to do someting like this?
>>
>
> You are describing what zones are about. I don't think you can do a spherical
> zone however you can define a box with datum planes.
>
>

Actually in Wildfire 5 it appears that you can do what would be equivalent to a
spherical zone:

SteveShaw
15-Moonstone

With Windchill 10.0 M010 and Creo Elements/Pro 5.0 we have introduced Design-in-Context capabilities that allow you to create External Simplified Representations based filters, including a spherical proximity search. This feature allows you to use Windchill's embedded visualization capabilties using Creo View along with structure filtering functionality to create and deliver ESRs to the CAD user.

Top Tags