cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

AE, Support "Update References" when working with DITA objects stored in Windchill.

AE, Support "Update References" when working with DITA objects stored in Windchill.

When working with Dita topics stored locally. If I have two topics and insert a xref from one to the other then, the xref text is set (with the title of the referenced topic).:
Topic A <title>1234</title>…

Topic B <>….<xref href=”topica.dita”>1234</xref>…</>

Topic A is now updated (title is changed) and saved. In AE, I open Topic B and go to “Tools->Update References”, the xref to topic b is updated to reflect the title change:
Topic A <title>1234 ABC</title>

Topic B <>….<xref href=”topica.dita”>1234 ABC</xref>…</>

"Update References" is working as one would expect - great!

I now save these to WC so the reference to topic a would be something like <xref href=”x-wc://file=0000007110.xml”>1234 ABC</xref>

Check out topic A and change the title <title>1234 ABC XYZ</title> and check in.

Check out topic B and go to “Tools->Update References” but the xref text isn’t updated. i.e. it still says <xref href=”topica.dita”>1234 ABC</xref> instead of <xref href=”topica.dita”>1234 ABC XYZ</xref>. The only way I’ve found to update the xref text is to modify the xref@href (navigating to the target again using the object browser).

CS58885 suggests that this is expected behaviour but to me (at least) this seems to incur major limitation.

3 Comments
PTCModerator
Emeritus
Status changed to: New Idea

plutsky
13-Aquamarine
Status changed to: Under Consideration

As mentioned in CS58885, this was done because of the potential slowdown if there are many references in Windchill. While we are probably not going to modify the base Update References, we can consider adding a purpose-built option to update references including those that are in Windchill.

plutsky
13-Aquamarine
Status changed to: No Plans to Implement