cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

APP: PDFlib exposure of tool tip / text fields +

APP: PDFlib exposure of tool tip / text fields +

APP has exposed a number of PDFlib features since it's addition for Version 11, e.g. taggedPDF, annotations, layers, XMP etc...

There are more useful features within PDFlib v8 and 9 (soon in APP) that many customers we know would benifit from, but have not yet been exposed to the user API. Initialy this includes the Form Fields options to produce Mouse over tool tips. As it is already under the surface in PDFlib just inaccessable, I propose this and other voted PDFlib features could be exposed to the FOM API, just as Notes and Layers have in M040.

References:

See 'Form Fields / Text Field' in PDFlib API docs.

http://www.pdflib.com/fileadmin/pdflib/pdf/manuals/PDFlib-9.0.3-API-reference.pdf

Cookbook sample pdf:

http://www.pdflib.com/pdflib-cookbook/interactive-elements/form-textfield-layout/

Thanks

Chris

APP/3B2 veterans!

www.tformat.com

18 Comments
pchaturvedi
1-Newbie

I agree to that. We have been facing so much of challenges from customer end these days since they demand all sorts of features available in PDFLibraries in their products. Till date we have been tweaking postscripts and meet the requirements but would love to have direct functionality in APP itself.

In fact tagged PDF from postscript is another one I would have wished as this is available only with direct PDF export and quality of such PDF is very low.

Thanks,

Pankaj Chaturvedi

ChrisWestern
6-Contributor

Thanks Pankaj, please add your vote!

pchaturvedi
1-Newbie

Voted 🙂

ptc-953542
1-Newbie

6th vote was mine, indeed features being asked for by customers.

Just a sidenote: I'm not quite sure though if PTC shouldn't try using social media to reach more of its customers, ideally with per product groups (we're solely using 3B2/APP, for example, thus more or less lacking any interest in Styler, Editor, Mathcad, Creo, Windchill, name it). PTC Community Updates drop into my mailbox once a week, but I can't remember any of them dealing with 3B2/APP (including announcements of updates). Consequently, ptc.com is only used to fetch the latest updates, which is clumsy enough, but certainly not for checking for/suggesting new ideas on a regular basis.

ChrisWestern
6-Contributor

Hi Marc, as APP is within the Arbortext product family this is the only official place that is watched for product ideas etc.

As far back as Advent (creators of 3B2) we tried to create a central forum for users, but the original and still the main user group in use for APP is the yahoo 3B2Users group. It is almost an impossible to suggest everyone to move to alternate places hence they are all worth joining!

There is also a 3B2Rocks & Arbortext facebook groups. The Adepters group on ptcuser.org has some occasional threads. And some Arbortext/PTC on linkedin but there is very little APP focused traffic there.

Regards

Chris

http://www.tformat.com/resources/

SimonTaylor
11-Garnet

Hi

I understand the usage requirements, so thanks for that. However, if it was as easy as that, we would have done it already. We do have PDF forms on our plans, but not in the immediate backlog of work. This work would come under that umbrella and not as a standalone feature.

Simon

SimonTaylor
11-Garnet

We have added PDF tagging through our PDF driver rather than through all output drivers so making it available for PostScript would probably require another year or so of effort to make that happen. PDF is the priority output for us, so providing enhancements to the PostScript driver are of a lower priority.

Why do you need to use the PostScript driver? What functionality is missing from our PDF support that requires you to use this output?

Thanks

Simon

pchaturvedi
1-Newbie

Hi Simon,

Because of simple reason, PDF driver produces inferiors quality output, which customers do not accept, even if they meant for web hosting.

Best,

Pankaj Chaturvedi

PS: Still only six votes. It seems many of them do not have PTC id or all our 3B2 gang have gone for summer vacation I guess!

ChrisWestern
6-Contributor

Hi Pankaj,

I would be interested to know exactly what you mean by inferior quality as this has not been a major noted issue previously. Do you mean images? If so have you tried using the image passthrough?

Maybe worth logging a call with your AMC provider?

Regards

Chris

PS: Maybe true or maybe there is a limited number of users with PTC.com customer account login permissions!?

GarethOakes
16-Pearl

Hi Chris,

The biggest complaints we have had with the direct PDF driver are to do with: (a) font handling eg. APP OpenType issues; (b) speed; (c) PDF Size; (d) EPS quality.

I should note that items (b)-(d) are only in relation to documents using EPS images and hence these issues are all related to the PStill support in APP. Both (b) and (c) would be resolved if PStill would have an option to embed fonts once for the entire document. At the moment, each time it encounters an EPS it subset embeds all fonts required for that EPS, for every single EPS. If you are using eg. MathFlow for each equation then you can imagine the problems...

Our most demanding customers use PostScript output with Distiller to avoid those issues. Some of them are now asking for tagged PDF support so this is going to be a contentious issue.

-Gareth

GarethOakes
16-Pearl

Pankaj: have you tried APP 11.0 with the new PDFLib print driver? I would be interested in your analysis of PDFLib vs the old homegrown PDF print driver.

ChrisWestern
6-Contributor

Regards (c)-(d) i hear Dessci are investigating options including alternate outputs for Equation composer incl. PDF/SVG. If SVG-Passthrough does make it into V11.1 could ne nice option!

Configuring the PStill fonts for thoes not embedded in the EPS is ok, but having this extra option would be nice, starting a new product idea for it?

-C

GarethOakes
16-Pearl

Item (c) from my list is probably the most difficult one, but perhaps the most important as it would probably deal with (b) if implemented properly.

The crux of the problem is there needs to be some process which optimises the fonts by figuring out the full range of glyphs used by a document and de-duplicating them into a single set of embedded fonts. This is something that Acrobat does but not many other tools.

Regardless of EPS, PDF, SVG, etc. I believe this will still be a challenge for APP.

ChrisWestern
6-Contributor

Indeed a new  MathML support within APP would solve this case, but as it is just one source of EPS input it will persist. It will be interesting to see if the boffins come up with anything for this!

ShaiApeloig
1-Newbie

One important PDFlib feature is about preserving the bleed when importing / linking to PDF files as ”rasters”.

The problem

In the current implementation, PDF files that are imported/linked to APP as “raster images”, will lose their bleed area when going through APP. This due to the fact that APP always uses the imported file’s Trimbox. This means that if the PDF has “correctly defined” PDF boxes (MediaBox larger than Trimbox) the bleed will always be left outside and that makes the PDF import unusable for these files. Today you will not be able to use APP for imposition of business cards PDF with bleed defined in Media Boxes. You will simply never be able to output the bleed through APP. This is, of course a problem because if bleed is there, it needs to be outputted in order to be able to print the document correctly.

Solution

Expose the PDFlib option “boxexpand” which will let you choose which box to apply when importing the “PDF-image”. Information about the boxes needs to be available in APP in order to decide which box should be applied.

Here's the documentation of the PDFlib "boxexpand"

(Float or list with four floats) Expand the page box selected via the pdiusebox option on all four sides by the same amount (if one value is provided) or on the left/right/bottom/top sides individually (if four values are provided). Negative values are allowed to reduce the page size. This option may be used to place

content which is located outside of all page boxes of the imported page, or to add margins. Default:

Examples

Let’s imagine a project placing/importing PDF-ads in a magazine with APP:

1. 1. A PDF ad has “correctly defined” trimbox 210x297, mediabox 220x307

This PDF has a bleed so you want to import it with the mediabox so you can output the bleed but when placing it (for instance on an A4) you will want to use the trimbox, which defines where the PDF is intended to be cut off. You need information about the boxes to calculate while creating a frame container for the ad (in this case a 220x307mm).

1. 2. PDF has “correctly defined” trimbox and mediabox  both set to 210x297 mm

Since the trimbox and mediabox is the same you can reasonably say that this PDF has NO bleed. Even here you need information about the boxes to calculate the container frame size (in this case an A4).

1. 3. Old fashion PDF without boxes PDF at all. Document size is 210x297 mm

Since there are no boxes you can NOT know whether this PDF was intended to bleed or not. APP cannot “see” the cutting guides. In this case it is important that the imported PDF lacks information about the boxes and not just set all the boxes to document size. Otherwise this PDF would seem the same as case 2 above - and it’s not. The APP developer will have to decide then how to handle that – to assume that there is bleed or not.

Regards

Shai

GarethOakes
16-Pearl

Shai, I like this idea - but can you make it into it's own "idea" so we can vote on it separately from Chris' original?

ShaiApeloig
1-Newbie

Hi Gareth

Just did. Cheers,

Shai

SimonTaylor
11-Garnet
Status changed to: Current Functionality

Hello

I'd like to check in on this thread and see whether the updates we've made since this idea was first posted have resolved the issues described? The PDF form stuff covered a lot, as did the ability to specify a frame as setting the PDF bounding boxes...  There may be an outstanding issue with regards EPS performance and/or font embedding, but I'm not sure... Can anyone please let me know??

Thanks

Simon