Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allow check out of Graphic files as dependents

0 Kudos

Allow check out of Graphic files as dependents

Currently in Windchill if I check out an XML file and dependents it includes all graphic files.  I can open and edit that XML file in Arbortext. I know that I can't modify that graphic in that XML file, though I edit the XML file and want to check everything back in when I'm done editing it in Arbortext.  In Arbortext, I check the file in and all dependents but Graphic files remain checked out.  I'm forced to go back into Windchill to undo the check out of graphics, because I'm not modifying any of those graphics at this time. To me, these seem like unnecessary steps. If you are going to modify graphics you most likely will do that immediately in Windchill. Most of the time you are just undoing the check out of graphics in Windchill. Why is it that Arbortext doesn't support "Undo Check out" for graphic files? 

Scenario1:  An XML file has been checked out and it includes graphics that were also checked out as dependents in Windchill or Arbortext (future). The XML is modified in Arbortext and the Author is ready to check the file back in and all of its dependents. Arbortext checks in XML but automatically undoes the checkout for all the graphic files.  Again, if I wanted to make a change to that graphic while the XML was checked out then I would have done that already in Windchill, before or after the XML edit process. 

Scenario2:  As an Author I use Arbortext Editor and the Object Browser a lot.  If I check out an XML file then I might want to check out the dependents, including graphics, to lock down these files why I modify the XML file. If I want to modify the graphic during this process then I will go to Windchill to add the new version of the graphic.  When I'm done I most likely will return to Arbortext Editor to check that file back in. If the graphic version has changed then Arbortext Editor will check that in along with the XML file. 

This is a time saving technique and would save the author time by keeping them in Arbortext Editor. 

2 Comments
plutsky
13-Aquamarine
Status changed to: No Plans to Implement

There are too many potential issues in allowing Arbortext to check out and check in graphics. Arbortext is not a graphics editor and will not have any of the domain-specific logic that a tool like IsoDraw or Creo Illustrate has.

It is best to use the Windchill UI if you want to operate on graphics.

baptistaj
3-Visitor

@plutsky I agree that this would be difficult. I appreciate the response.