cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Export Compound Document w/ baseline option if Dynamic Document is marked as baseline primary object

0 Kudos

Export Compound Document w/ baseline option if Dynamic Document is marked as baseline primary object

As a Dynamic Document developer I have to deliver XML/Graphics to my customer.  Our development process can span months/years and to manage milestone checkpoints a baseline is created for each.  At any point in our development process we may need to "Export Compound Document" to deliver content to our custom for review.  The ability to choose a baseline and "Export Compound Document" would ensure that correct versions of the product is delivered to the customer.  There could be instances where a book or chapter map do not change from milestone to milestone, so the idea of using a different version of a primary object to export will not always work.

i.e. The book file remains at version 1.4 through three milestone deliveries. Each baseline contains version 1.4 of the primary object.  Arbortext Browser displays a baseline file but behind the scene it is linked to primary object and all associated and versioned dependents in that baseline. The structure is downloaded locally for delivery.  

Dual purpose solution - this supports publishing of the baseline primary object.

4 Comments
baptistaj
3-Visitor

On the book version dilemma mentioned above, could a possible solution be that a baseline requires a revision change to the primary object?  That could lock the baseline down to a version of the book, and all the linked dependents, that can then be exported with "Export Compound Document"?  Again books get minimally revised during development, so an automated revision to the book to create the baseline may solve this issue.  

This idea will be submitted as a new Windchill idea that points to this original idea. 

baptistaj
3-Visitor
plutsky
13-Aquamarine
Status changed to: Current Functionality

Arbortext Editor supports loading a baseline of a compound document. 

To do it:

In the Windchill UI, create a workspace that uses the baseline.  Add all the dynamic documents from the baseline to the workspace.

In Arbortext Editor, when you connect to Windchill, select the workspace that you just populated.

Open the top-level object in Editor.  Since you have connected using this baseline-based workspace, the objects that will load will be the ones from the workspace/baseline.

Now you can Print, Export Compound Document, or other Editor operations.  Note that if the version from the workspace is not the latest, you cannot check out that version.  Editor only supports checking out the latest version.

baptistaj
3-Visitor

Thank You @plutsky I've performed the steps above and was able to successfully send Dynamic Documents from a baseline to a workspace, open those files for publishing, and export compound document of the book and its dependents that were in that baseline.  I appreciate the help.