cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Styler: Allow suppression of cross-reference page numbers when on same page

Styler: Allow suppression of cross-reference page numbers when on same page

If a cross-reference to something is on the same page as that something, it should be possible to suppress the words "on page xx". That is, imagine a figure that is on page 42. If a cross-reference to that figure were on page 33, it would appear as "Figure 12 on page 42", but if the cross-reference were itself on page 42, it would instead appear as just "Figure 12".

Please add the ability for cross-references to automatically suppress page numbers when on the same page--thanks.

My case reference: https://www.ptc.com/apps/case_logger_viewer/auth/ssl/case=11367267

4 Comments
GarethOakes
16-Pearl

I like this idea. I would also extend this to be capable of "native English" descriptions: see Figure 12 below, see Figure 11 above, see Table 3 on next page, etc.

BTW, you could achieve this functionality today using APP and source edits but it would be nice to have a Styler UI for it.

dcarney
3-Visitor

Gareth, thanks for your thoughts.

As far as achieving the functionality, I was told the following by PTC in the referenced case:

"We have no stylesheet logic to know if the object being referenced is on the same page. It simply does not exist. Referencing something on the same page will always still mention the page number it that is your style of cross reference."

If what I am asking for is possible, I'd love to hear about it!

GarethOakes
16-Pearl

You need to take control of the APP formatting process to ensure at least two formatting passes. On the first pass you will gather the locations of all cross-reference targets in memory (storing both the page number and x/y position of each target). On the second format pass you will then resolve your cross-references using the gathered information in order to display "above/below", "next page", etc. The cross-reference function will need to be a custom function which reconciles the page you are currently on against the page the target resides on (and then possibly figure out the x/y if on the same page).

dcarney
3-Visitor

Thanks for the information!