cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Adding a new font (symbols) to epic

Highlighted

Adding a new font (symbols) to epic

Hello Adepters,
I have to add a site specific font to our epic 4.3.1 and epic 5.1.
The font's name is sew.ttf
The characters (f.e.) have the unicode value 0041, 0042, ...
I want to add the whole font as entity set.

I tried to understand all the informations in the online help, but I do
not find a starting point.
Can someone of you give me tipps how to proceed in this case?

Best regards
Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Pia Kraus
Tags (2)
3 REPLIES 3
Highlighted

Re: Adding a new font (symbols) to epic

> I have to add a site specific font to our epic 4.3.1 and epic 5.1.
> The font's name is sew.ttf
> The characters (f.e.) have the unicode value 0041, 0042, ...
> I want to add the whole font as entity set.

Arbortext significantly enhanced Epic's font handling starting in Epic 4.4. Accessing fonts became much, much easier. Our Epic 4.2.3 font solution is quite complex, but survived an upgrade to Epic 5.0. Despite the 4.2.3 solution's complexity, we have preserved it so far since that required zero effort.

We started a different application on Epic 4.4 and quickly upgraded to 5.0. We used the greatly simplified font handling of 4.4 and 5.0 rather than modify the 4.2.3 solution from our previuos implementation.

We ran into a surprise with the 4.4/5.0 implementation. The font we used (a total of for .TTF files) was internally named in a "non-standard" way that Epic 5.0 did not support (had to do with name stemming and adding bold and italic in a predictable way). Further, there were some problems with a high character bit not being properly set on or off or something. Arbortext support fixed our .TTF files for us and filed CRs against Epic to enhance its ability to deal with non-standard font naming. Theoretically these fixes have been rolled into 5.1.

Anyhow, other than that detour, using our own font with Epic 4.4 and 5.0 did not require any effort other than installing and then referencing the installed font. On the other hand, the 4.2.3 implementation required multiple .cf files and customizations, setting the right environment variables, and multiple font conversions from True Type to TeX formats.

Here is a directory listing of the Epic 4.2.3 fonts directory (taken from the 5.0 upgrade's custom\fonts directory):
afmtopl.exe
charent.cf
Frkgotd.afm
Frkgotd.pl
Frkgotd.tfm
FRKGOTD.TTF
Frkgotdi.afm
Frkgotdi.pl
Frkgotdi.tfm
FRKGOTDI.TTF
Frkgotn.afm
Frkgotn.pl
Frkgotn.tfm
FRKGOTN.TTF
Frkgotni.afm
Frkgotni.pl
Frkgotni.tfm
FRKGOTNI.TTF
makeafm.bat
pltotf.exe
tfmfont.cf
tftopl.exe
ttf_edit.exe
uniw52.map
vior-charent.cf
wcharset.cf
wfontsub.cf
Zapfding.pl
Zapfding.tfm
ZAPFDING.TTF

The *.cf files are the ones customized and referenced by environment variables. I think you can search Epic help for those filenames and get some information, but you may have already fond this. As I recall, it's not 100% clear how to use them without a lot of reading AND some examples.

Here is the docdesc from our Epic 5.0 FOSI where the font (Frank Goth Itc B) is referenced:
<docdesc>
<charlist>
width="regular" offset="0pt">
<leading lead="13pt">
<hyphen hyph="0">
<indent leftind="0" rightind="0" firstln="*">
<quadding quad="left" lastquad="relative">
<highlt scorewt="1pt" scoreoff="0.15em" scorespc="1">
<presp minimum="0pt" nominal="0pt" maximum="0pt" condit="discard" priority="med">
<postsp minimum="0pt" nominal="0pt" maximum="0pt" condit="discard" priority="med">
<keeps scope="col" keep="0" widowct="2" orphanct="2" next="0" prev="0">
<textbrk startcol="0" startpg="off" newpgmdl="global" startln="1" endln="1">
</charlist>
</docdesc>

Once you have the fonts properly attached to Epic 5.1, you should be able to access U0041 and U0042 easily. I am less sure, but think this will be true of Epic 4.3.1, too. This assumes that you will be addressing this font through normal keyboard access.

If you are want to display or print special characters or symbols arbitrarily placed in U0041 and U0042 in a font containing only symbols (like ZAPF Dinggats or Windings), then you should consider using an element resolved to the character by your stylesheet, especially if you will be accessing the formatting pipeline in Epic 5.1 (profiling and DCAM both activate the pipeline, for example). The Why of this is more than I have time for right now, but search the adepters archives for a thread with the subject "converting character entities to elements" from December 2004. Or follow up with more details about your requirements.

I do not know anything about fonts as entity sets.

------
Paul Nagai

Tsunami relief portal:
http://www.networkforgood.org/

Highlighted

This turns out to be very easy in Epic 5.1.

See the comments at the top of lib/charent.cf, particularly the example with:

# symbbb "ACME Symbols" 80

In 4.3.1, it is very difficult. If you really need to do it there, you will
probably need help from tech support.
Highlighted

Many thanks to Paul and Gary,
the font now works in 5.1 according to your suggestions. For 4.3 I
transfered the job ...
Regards,
Pia Kraus
Announcements