cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Arbortext Editor 5.4 and PDM Link 9

Bert.PTC
1-Newbie

Arbortext Editor 5.4 and PDM Link 9

Hello,

I would like to know more about the communications between Arbortext Editor and PDM Link.

I can connect to my PDM Link server from Arbortext. Then I can make references toward existing Dynamic Documents hosted on my PDM Link server, insert documents inside others and so on.

But what I'd realy like to do is making a reference toward an Object like a Part or an Item located on my PDM Link server (WTPart, ...).

For instance, in a document from Arbortext Editor, I'd like to insert a reference toward a Part, it would open a window with the product structure (or anything else) so I could choose a Part. Then it would include the reference of this Part (and others informations) in my Dynamic Documents.

I used to do that using sockets with older versions of Arbortext Editor (Epic) but I though there would be an easy (standard) way to do that with Arbortext Editor 5.4 but I can't find any.

Does anyone have already done that ? Do you have any link to an interesting documentation explaining how to do that ?

Any lead are welcome.

Thank you,

Bertrand.

5 REPLIES 5

Associating your part and technical information is on our roadmap for some exciting new capabilities that we’ll be discussing at the upcoming PlanetPTC Live. If you’re not attending, let’s arrange some time to further discuss your use cases and understand how they align with our product plans.

lfraley
6-Contributor
(To:Bert.PTC)

Hi Bertrand,

If you were doing it with 5.3, you should be able to do it with 5.4. Can you tell me what about it broke in 5.4?

Liz

If you used sockets in a previous release that will still work in the current release. There is not an out of the box way to do this within Editor and the Windchill Adapter. I am keen to meet with you and understand your use cases so that as Product Management we can better understand and look into this for a future release. Are you going to PlanetPTC Live in Vegas? If you are, we can book time to meet there and if not we can book time to meet after the event.

Hi Anica,

"If you used sockets in a previous release that will still work in the current release"

I agree.

"There is not an out of the box way to do this within Editor and the Windchill Adapter."

That's what I was looking for . Many customer have this same need to make reference to objects located on the PDM Link server so I thought maybe it was included in last versions. Now I know it's on the roadmap, thank you.

Unfortunately I won't go to Vegas. I'm located in France, may be I'll attend the meeting in Germany or Danmark. I'll try to convince my boss.

Thank you for your time and your help Anica,

Bertrand.

Hi Liz,

I'm able to do it the same way with 5.4, nothing broke. We used sockets for an old application (10 years old), we are now designing a new one for another customer.

Since it's a new application I wanted to be sure there wasn't any new features in last versions (the previous version I used was Epic 4.3) that would help me with that.

I think I'll use RMI (with a Java customization) instead of sockets for the new application.

Thank you for your time Liz.

Regards,

Bertrand.

Top Tags