cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Arbortext Editor 6.0, Arbortext Styler 6.0 and Arbortext Publishing Engine 6.0 are now available for

msundquist
1-Newbie

Arbortext Editor 6.0, Arbortext Styler 6.0 and Arbortext Publishing Engine 6.0 are now available for

Great News! As you might have already seen, Arbortext Editor 6.0,
Arbortext Styler 6.0 and Arbortext Publishing Engine 6.0 are now
available for download from the PTC support site.

To learn more about exciting enhancements delivered with these products,
please visit the Arbortext What's New
<">http://www.ptc.com/products/arbortext/whats-new.htm> page!

If you have any questions about this release, please let me know.

Regards,

Mike

31 REPLIES 31

Sorry for the poorly formatted link...pleaseuse this...

http://www.ptc.com/products/arbortext/whats-new.htm

Mike

kpritchard
4-Participant
(To:msundquist)

One question...Does the requirement for auto numbering mode enabled for uplaod to Windchill carry over to version 6 as well? I didn't find anything on that in the what's new.

Is it a known issue that the 64-bit version of Arbortext 6 does not work?

I opened a ticket with support regarding this:https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/case.jsp?n=10241501

The "solution" of using the 32-bit version makes no sense to me. Why does a 64-bit version exist in the first place?

The PTC site says:

Case Details

Error: Case 10241501 is not customer viewable.

Hmmm...

Steve Thompson
+1(316)977-0515
----------

Oh that just made me laugh out loud, thanks for sharing!!

-G

Hi Garen

I was able to do a quick review of your case, it looks like the issue is with licensing, I will have a licensing TS team member contact you.

I can assure this thread the 64bit version of Editor, Styler and PE are all running as 64bit applications on my Windows 7 laptop.

I am sorry you are facing these challenges.

Thanks,

Susan Fort

-----------------------------------------------------------

Susan Fort

Product Manager, Arbortext Business Unit, PTC

- | (937) 743-9091

byork
17-Peridot
(To:msundquist)

Susan,

Is there an additional license requirement (cost) for the 64bit version
of editor or PE etc?

Thanks,

Brian

I also have 64bit Editor, Styler and Architect working on my Windows 7 laptop. I did have a problem in that I downloaded the wrong version of the Flex license server (we have floating licenses). The Flex download page is ambiguous; you needFLEXnet Publisher 10.8.6 from ptc.com

I'm curious to know what happens with the licenses if you have a mixed population of 32- and 64-bit client PCs? Also, we have two projects - one that still uses Epic Editor 4.3.1 and one that uses Arbortext Editor 5.2. We can serve the same concurrent licenses for both. What happens if we upgrade from 5.2 to 6.0 but still keep the Epic Editor 4.3.1 PCs?

Hi Brian,

No, no additional cost. The media that can be requested will have separate installers for the 32 bit version and the 64 bit version. When you go to PTC.com to download the software, users are given the opportunity to select theWin32 Downloador theWin64Download.There is no licensing difference either. The FlexNet license is the same for the product release whether the product is installed as 32 bit or as 64 bit.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks

Susan

In Reply to Brian York:

Susan,

Is there an additional license requirement (cost) for the 64bit version
of editor or PE etc?

Thanks,
Brian

Hi Ed,

Arbortext FlexNet licensing is based on the total number entitlements your organization has purchased. Let's assume your organization has 40 fixed Editor licenses. Through the "Arbortext Licensing Support" interface on PTC.com your organization can have 10 of those licenses assigned as FlexNet Arbortext Editor 6.0 licenses, and the remaining 30 serving the Editor 5.x and 4.3.1 users. Each organization has the ability to determine how to spread its entitlements based on its needs and usage. We are fully aware of several customers using highly customized environments of older product releases. The new Licensing Support site was designed to allow customers to manage both Elan licenses (5.4 and prior) as well as their 6.0 licensing needs.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Thanks,

Susan

In Reply to Ed Benton:

-

Let's assume we have 40 concurrent/floating Editor licenses. Can you do the same with those?

Yes, absolutely.

Thanks

Susan

In Reply to Ed Benton:

Let's assume we have 40 concurrent/floating Editor licenses. Can you do the same with those?

Hello Susan, All,

I was contacted by Jason Giroux, and he very helpfully explained to me what the issue was. Basically, I was using a Remote Desktop session to enter my Windows 7 workstation. The FLEX licensing server does not like this, and threw an error at me.

After having physically connected to my Windows 7 workstation, I confirm that the 64-bit version of Arbortext 6 is running flawlessly.

Many thanks to everyone for their quick help! I will close the previous case.

Thanks again,

Garen

In Reply to Susan Fort:

Hi Garen

I was able to do a quick review of your case, it looks like the issue is with licensing, I will have a licensing TS team member contact you.

I can assure this thread the 64bit version of Editor, Styler and PE are all running as 64bit applications on my Windows 7 laptop.

I am sorry you are facing these challenges.

Thanks,

Susan Fort

Susan Fort

- | (937) 743-9091

Uh oh. We currently use Remote Desktop to allow network-distant users to do
the "heavy lifting" nearer the servers. I think what you are saying is that
FLEX licenses do not allow Arbortext Editor to run within a Remote Desktop
session.

Susan: Can you clarify whether this is in fact a limitation within the FLEX
licensing world?

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Garen Torikian
<gtorikian@salesforce.com>wrote:

> Hello Susan, All,
>
> I was contacted by Jason Giroux, and he very helpfully explained to me what
> the issue was. Basically, I was using a Remote Desktop session to enter my
> Windows 7 workstation. The FLEX licensing server does not like this, and
> threw an error at me.
>
> After having physically connected to my Windows 7 workstation, I confirm
> that the 64-bit version of Arbortext 6 is running flawlessly.
>
> Many thanks to everyone for their quick help! I will close the previous
> case.
>
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Garen
>
>
> In Reply to Susan Fort:
>
> Hi Garen
>
> I was able to do a quick review of your case, it looks like the issue is
> with licensing, I will have a licensing TS team member contact you.
>
> I can assure this thread the 64bit version of Editor, Styler and PE are all
> running as 64bit applications on my Windows 7 laptop.
>
> I am sorry you are facing these challenges.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Susan Fort
>

I sure hope not. This would cause me some problems. Any caveats about
running Arbortext while attached through VPN?

Adepters,

The recent knot of related and unrelated threads confused me a little as the flurry of threads whipped past me too densely to interpret, but it reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask (adepters first; then Arbortext tech support when I have time to explain to them what a distributed doctype is.

Background *too wordy" I know. Please enjoy:
I telecommute and typically use Arbortext Editor, Document Architect, Print Composer, Import and (as rarely as I can manage it):some other publishing stuff. For Arbortext, these are all node-locked licenses attached to my PC and usually to the Remote PC (and I have a couple of floating licenses for editor/print composer if necessary.
I run the Remote Desktop Session (%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe) and identify the machine I want to connect to. By now I have a folder full of short cuts that I can click and go to access a remote PC anywhere inside our firewall..

I had to use a Remote Desktop Connection to install Arbortext IsoDraw on a new PC. The setup and installation went well and the license file was obtained and stored in the correct directory, The environment variable PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE was set to point to the license file (C:\Program Files\Arbortext\IsoDraw 7.1\License.dat) and everything looked good. I installed the software, rebooted the remote machine and figured I was almost done with the installation.
However, when started a Remote Desktop session and I attempted to start Arbortext three was a fail message and IsoDraw wouldn't run. At first I thought it was me, because an exclusive Remote Desktop session would not allow the installed license to be used more than it would if I drive fifty miles and sit at the console. So, the bottom line is that I did drive the fifty miles and IsoDraw worked fine at the console but not via Remote Desktop Connection.

I called Arbortext tech support and was connected to someone in India, but we weren't able to communicate enough to establish anything. He or she was very concerned about whether the weather made for a nice day, but much less so with anything to do with Arbortext.

Bottom line: Does Arbortext work via an exclusive Remote Desktop Connection?

Thanks,
-Andy
\ / Andy Esslinger LM Aero - Tech Order Data
_____-/\-_____ (817) 279-0442 1 Lockheed Blvd, MZ 4285
\_\/_/ (817) 777 3047 Fort Worth, TX 76108-3916

Hi Paul,

It certainly is not a limitation with Flex Licensing. Applications using Flex Licensing within RDP do work so long as the licenses are floating (connected to a floating license server).

When you install Arbortext 6.0, if you run into any licensing issues, please contact me directly.

Thanks

Susan

In Reply to Paul Nagai:

Uh oh. We currently use Remote Desktop to allow network-distant users to do
the "heavy lifting" nearer the servers. I think what you are saying is that
FLEX licenses do not allow Arbortext Editor to run within a Remote Desktop
session.

Susan: Can you clarify whether this is in fact a limitation within the FLEX
licensing world?

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:43 AM, Garen Torikian
@<gtorikian@salesforce.com>wrote:

> Hello Susan, All,
>
> I was contacted by Jason Giroux, and he very helpfully explained to me what
> the issue was. Basically, I was using a Remote Desktop session to enter my
> Windows 7 workstation. The FLEX licensing server does not like this, and
> threw an error at me.
>
> After having physically connected to my Windows 7 workstation, I confirm
> that the 64-bit version of Arbortext 6 is running flawlessly.
>
> Many thanks to everyone for their quick help! I will close the previous
> case.
>
>
> Thanks again,
>
> Garen
>
>
> In Reply to Susan Fort:
>
> Hi Garen
>
> I was able to do a quick review of your case, it looks like the issue is
> with licensing, I will have a licensing TS team member contact you.
>
> I can assure this thread the 64bit version of Editor, Styler and PE are all
> running as 64bit applications on my Windows 7 laptop.
>
> I am sorry you are facing these challenges.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Susan Fort
>

Hi Jason,

It really depends on the environment and the details of your installation. I personally connect to PTC (Ann Arbor) using a VPN. I have run Arbortext Editor/Styler/PE various ways with VPN - using the software on a server in Ann Arbor, using the software on my laptop pointing to a license server in Ann Arbor, etc.

It does work. If you have specific questions about your environment, again, directly contact me and we will work through your situation.

Thanks

Susan

In Reply to Jason Buss:

I sure hope not. This would cause me some problems. Any caveats about
running Arbortext while attached through VPN?

So then what I am understanding is that if I need to log into a PC using
RDP, that PC has to have a floating license, not a fixed node license?

Hi Andy

This is the same issue as above, Flex licensing does not allow client applications connected to a locked license to be launched over Remote Desktop or terminalservices connections. This would be allowed if the client is connected to a floating license server.

Based off these last few messages, we will make a point to ensure all the worldwide Technical Consultants have a refresher on the Flex Licensing support issues, specifically dealing with remote desktop. Many of these issues have been addressed are documented online at PTC.com. A search on RDP will bring up a number of support bulletins addressing these concerns. Please keep in mind many other PTC products have been using Flex licensing for the past 10 years, many of these issues have come up with those other applications. The product references may not be the same but the resolution to the issues are typically the same or similar.

As always, Andy, if you are not satisified with a TS response, there is a feedback tool or you canuse call escalation to get the issue resolved.

Thanks

Susan

In Reply to Andy Esslinger:

Adepters,

The recent knot of related and unrelated threads confused me a little as the flurry of threads whipped past me too densely to interpret, but it reminded me of a question I have been meaning to ask (adepters first; then Arbortext tech support when I have time to explain to them what a distributed doctype is.

Background *too wordy" I know. Please enjoy:
I telecommute and typically use Arbortext Editor, Document Architect, Print Composer, Import and (as rarely as I can manage it):some other publishing stuff. For Arbortext, these are all node-locked licenses attached to my PC and usually to the Remote PC (and I have a couple of floating licenses for editor/print composer if necessary.
I run the Remote Desktop Session (%SystemRoot%\system32\mstsc.exe) and identify the machine I want to connect to. By now I have a folder full of short cuts that I can click and go to access a remote PC anywhere inside our firewall..

I had to use a Remote Desktop Connection to install Arbortext IsoDraw on a new PC. The setup and installation went well and the license file was obtained and stored in the correct directory, The environment variable PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE was set to point to the license file (C:\Program Files\Arbortext\IsoDraw 7.1\License.dat) and everything looked good. I installed the software, rebooted the remote machine and figured I was almost done with the installation.
However, when started a Remote Desktop session and I attempted to start Arbortext three was a fail message and IsoDraw wouldn't run. At first I thought it was me, because an exclusive Remote Desktop session would not allow the installed license to be used more than it would if I drive fifty miles and sit at the console. So, the bottom line is that I did drive the fifty miles and IsoDraw worked fine at the console but not via Remote Desktop Connection.

I called Arbortext tech support and was connected to someone in India, but we weren't able to communicate enough to establish anything. He or she was very concerned about whether the weather made for a nice day, but much less so with anything to do with Arbortext.

Bottom line: Does Arbortext work via an exclusive Remote Desktop Connection?

Thanks,
-Andy

Susan,

There are probably a lot of people that are interested in this discussion. Please keep it on the
list!

Martin
Kongsberg Maritime

Good morning Susan,

I hope discussion of this issue can be held openly on the list. Given the significant difference in cost of fixed versus floating licenses, the restriction you describe may have serious financial and operational consequences for many Arbortext users.

It is still not clear why there is a perceived difference between an Arbortext user sitting at a PC with a node-locked license, and the same user accessing the same PC via Remote Desktop. There is still only one license available.

With the increase in telecommuting, installing Arbortext on an office PC (with a node-locked license) and using Remote Desktop to connect from home is becoming common. A floating license should not be necessary under this scenario.

Thanks,

David

David S. Taylor

Project Manager, Structured Information
Institute for Research in Construction
National Research Council Canada
Bldg. M-23A, Room 239
1200 Montreal Road, Ottawa, ON K1A 0R6

I appreciate your answer Susan,

Is there a diplomatic way to ask if there is any good reason that the node-locked licenses won't work over Remote Desktop? I mean, is this a design feature or a bug?

If it's a bug can you fix it?

If design feature what is the rationale? Using one license on a remote desktop is still only one license in use and it's installed on the correct PC.

Thanks,
-Andy

So I guess my next question is how does the licensing work for Arbortext
PE? Is it not licensed through FlexLM?

There is no way for me to access PE except for RDP for installation,
configuration, and of course, diagnostics.

Will I still be able to get to the PE through terminal services/RDP?

-Jason

That certainly applies to us. Our PE server is in Milford, Ohio, and I'm in Shoreview, Minn. ALL of our access to the server is via Remote Desktop Connection.

Dave
Siemens

On another note, I tried just now to go to the PTC.com site to check my
current license count, and apparently the site is down.

I used a browser, not RDP...

Was this scheduled maintenance? This thread has required me to schedule
some awkward conversations with the purse-string-holders today (we're at
the tail-end of locking down budget for the rest of the year), and I'm
going to need that info...

-Jason

It seems that at 6.0 the PE license is issued as a floating license so access via Remote Desktop
works fine.

Martin

Hello

PTC.com being down today is truly a coincidence. It is a known issue and is being actively attended to, we hope it will be back functioning soon.

Thanks

Susan

In Reply to Jason Buss:

On another note, I tried just now to go to the PTC.com site to check my
current license count, and apparently the site is down.

I used a browser, not RDP...

Was this scheduled maintenance? This thread has required me to schedule
some awkward conversations with the purse-string-holders today (we're at
the tail-end of locking down budget for the rest of the year), and I'm
going to need that info...

-Jason

Top Tags