cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Arbortext Publish PDF while Translating

AB_9115617
3-Visitor

Arbortext Publish PDF while Translating

I've been using Arbortext Editor for a while. We've set up the system to be able to make translation packages and save/interact with Windchill. Once the translation package is created, the files (bookmaps, concepts, procedures, references, etc.) are saved to a local folder.

Is there a way to see what the pdf of the new pdf of this book before putting the files back on Windchill? The issue I'm having is the page breaks in the English file don't always work for the translated book, because usually the other language has more letters/words than English. The page breaks for Spanish, for example, don't line up and end up looking really bad for books that are completed and saved & released on Windchill, but I can't figure out how to see what the pdf is going to look like before putting it on Windchill (which releases the files as if they are totally completed). I can publish English files while creating them to see where page breaks need to be, no problem.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
plutsky
13-Aquamarine
(To:AB_9115617)

Unfortunately the translated files need to be imported to Windchill because the internal references (such as "href" attribute values) are pointing to the objects in Windchill.  The publishing process won't be able to locate the referenced files if they are not imported.

You may be able to get the effect you wish by modifying the "Import Translation Process" workflow.  You could change it so the imported documents are set to an intermediate state, not the Released state, when they are imported.  Then you could test the .pdf and only set the documents to the Released state once they are correct.

See the Translation preference "Import Translation Workflow" that indicates which workflow to use for the import process.

Patti

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
plutsky
13-Aquamarine
(To:AB_9115617)

Unfortunately the translated files need to be imported to Windchill because the internal references (such as "href" attribute values) are pointing to the objects in Windchill.  The publishing process won't be able to locate the referenced files if they are not imported.

You may be able to get the effect you wish by modifying the "Import Translation Process" workflow.  You could change it so the imported documents are set to an intermediate state, not the Released state, when they are imported.  Then you could test the .pdf and only set the documents to the Released state once they are correct.

See the Translation preference "Import Translation Workflow" that indicates which workflow to use for the import process.

Patti

Top Tags