I'm wanting to process a bookmap and all its children (well, descendants really, but I'm stuck on even the children) just running a simple XSL transformation against the bookmap and each DITA file href'ed in the bookmap. I can't figure out how to prevent the DITA getting resolved into a resolved document. Am I missing something really obvious or is this actually "hard" to do?
I can obviously use a command line tool (or, GASP, another XML editor), but I'd like to keep the author experience in a familiar tool if at all possible.
Seems like it should be easy so I'm hoping I'm missing some obvious switch ...
Arbortext Editor and Publishing Engine 7.0 m040.
P.S. Sorry for the sort of duplicate post ... I put my original in the wrong bucket... maybe I'll be able to go delete it after I submit this one...
Hey Paul, I hope all is well. To the best of my knowledge you cannot stop Publishing Engine resolving DITA, because the whole processing model is to "flatten" the DITA topics out first, then they are PDF'd by Styler. The only way we've found to get around this is to use native APP templates. Not sure if that helps, but that's all I know 🙂
Thanks for responding. Yup, all is indeed well on this side of the globe, thanks for asking. Hope your side is just fine, too.
I want you to be wrong about this but I don't think you are ... I had pretty much drawn the same conclusion after a fruitless search of the help before posting my query. I have now managed to transform the children and output normal DITA XML using a few XSL templates to manage the Resolved Document tagging introduced by Arbortext, but I am going to have to transform the bookmap content using ACL.
Here are the templates (and, this is early development, there might be more I'll need and/or I might need to handle these slightly differently):
<xsl:template match="RDStyle"> <xsl:apply-templates/> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="ResolvedMap"> <xsl:apply-templates/> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="ResolvedMap/map"> <xsl:apply-templates/> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="ReferredTopics"> </xsl:template> <xsl:template match="FlattenedMap"> </xsl:template>
Doing great thanks, Paul. Your approach seems good; also I seem to remember one of our engineers has worked around this by implementing a custom content publishing pipeline. That seems a bit OTT for your use case though.
Oooh, no, I won't be doing that. Definitely not worth it here.
I'll make do with what I've got, wait for a way to disable the resolving, or use an external parser or another editor.