cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Arbortext Sessions at PlanetPTC Live

jcraft
1-Newbie

Arbortext Sessions at PlanetPTC Live

I have been looking at the list of Arbortext sessions for the upcoming PlanetPTC Live and I am a bit perplexed. Is the list of sessions displayed on the site (
15 REPLIES 15

Well at the risk of sounding frustrated, welcome to the PTCs world of Arbortext. It doesn't appear to be an important part of PTC anymore.
ebenton
1-Newbie
(To:jcraft)

No risk. There are others who are equally frustrated. That's one of the reasons that we have stopped attending since a couple of conferences after PTC bought Arbortext. If you think that the Windchill emphasis is a little excessive, try to get PTC to develop a software solution for you that *doesn't* involve Windchill.

I know that it's like wanting to shop in a Circuit City store, but I miss the old AUGI conferences.

Yeah, We haven't gone in the last three years because there just wasn't enough Arbortext sessions to make it of any value.
jcraft
1-Newbie

So, it sounds like the Arbortext sessions listed on the conference website may actually be correct. Can anyone else confirm that? I would like to go the conference, but if the only sessions offered really are the ones listed on the site I don't see the point in going.

John Craft

Hi John,

As others have mentioned, this is the Brave New World of PTC. I believe the list you are seeing is correct. We are also not attending this year as the focus for PTC now is all about manufacturing. They have no care in the world for publishing except as it relates to equipment service manuals.

There is definitely a gap left by the absence of an Arbortext-specific conference. What it needs is someone with the time and motivation to organise one, I'm sure we'd get a good turnout!

I tell you what, anyone who can make it to my house in Gold Coast (Australia) this weekend I'll put on an Arbortext BBQ 🙂

Cheers,
Gareth

The Gold Coast sounds like a great idea Gareth 🙂

We are organising our international users meeting 'APP World' again in November. This year in Cologne Germany after the last 2 years in London. It is focused predominantly on Advanced Print Publisher (3B2), but like the last few years, will have a number of topics on other Arbortext products and related technologies, especially now that APP is the default Print/PDF engine.

The more interest we have from non APP Arbortext users, the more we can look at increase the general Arbortext content or even an additional track, so please feel free to get in touch. Agenda planning for this year is underway and will be announced closer to the time.

www.tformat.com/appworld/

Regards

Chris

Chris Western
tformat ltd
Arbortext sVAR/MSP
www.tformat.com

ebenton
1-Newbie

My defense-contractor employer won't even send me to a conference in Canada, let alone Australia...

Dear Arbortext Community Members,

Having attended many of the AUGI conferences in the pre-PTC days, I can certainly understand the desire for a focused conference for just traditional publishing with Arbortext products. Since the acquisition, the product line has expanded, the vision has expanded and today, the Arbortext products fit into a much broader – and important – strategy for PTC. Although you won’t see specific mention of traditional publishing at PlanetPTC Live, we continue to be committed to supporting our customers and their investment in Arbortext products.

The agenda at PlanetPTC Live does reflect the focus on a broader strategy, but the Arbortext products continue to be well represented in those discussions. In many of the PTC presentations, Arbortext products are core components, the booths hosted by the product managers will include all Arbortext products, and there will be multiple theater sessions (15 minute product updates) that will feature Arbortext products.

Also, we’ve posted a few videos on the PTC Communities site (http://communities.ptc.com) targeted at delivering updates on the Arbortext products, including Arbortext Editor 6.0 M040 General Update, Arbortext Editor 6.0 M040 DITA Update, and Arbortext Styler 6.0 M040 Update. Additional videos will be added frequently as new information is available from product managers. You can take a look at these videos here - http://communities.ptc.com/community/arbortext?view=video.

For those of you that are attending PlanetPTC Live, I look forward to seeing you in Orlando. Please stop by the booths to discuss how you are using Arbortext products.

If you want to reach me directly to discuss, please send me an email at -.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Mike Sundquist

VP, Product Management

Service Lifecycle Management

Work phone – 734.352.2928

Email – -

Yeah it's pretty scary down here with all the crocodiles, snakes, spiders and dropbears 🙂
ebenton
1-Newbie

I live in Florida, so we have all of those things (more alligators than crocodiles, but still...) except dropbears! We might have a chupacabra here or there, but no dropbears.
ebenton
1-Newbie

I understand that BigFoot, Sasquatch, Yeti, whatever you call him, sleeps with a dropbear. Keeps it with him at night tucked underneath his Star Wars Wookie-design sheets, pillowcase and blanket.

Hey I heard that. We are not allowed to travel at all unless someone else is paying for it.

Sorry Sindy, I'm not going to pay for your flights to Australia 🙂
BobSpangenburg
6-Contributor

Don't I know it. The last one I went to was in 2007 and I seriously believe it was a bribe at the time. I had just started working for Lockheed.

Though I work in Marietta, GA, I still can't go (like Sindy said) unless I pay for it, or someone else does. Bummer!

Bob

Hi Mike,

Upon reflection, I feel a response to your email is in order.Having worked in publishing since the 1970s and with structured markup publishing and Arbortext Editor since 1992 -- including Caterpillar's original "lights-out" database-driven publishing application -- I take exception to your use of the term "traditional publishing.""Traditional publishing" means WYSIWYG.Calling structured markup publishing "traditional" makes no sense. With or without a database, structured markup publishing isrevolutionarybecause it rejects the WYSIWYG paradigm.

Also, PTC's de-prioritizing of Arbortext Editor will inevitably create a weak link in the chain, as the expression goes. And a chain is no stronger than its weakest link.Database-driven publishingrequireslights-out structured markup publishing in order to ensure the integrity of the output. As a critical component ofPTC's dynamic publishing solution, Arbortext Editor needs the same level of support from PTC as any other PTC brand.

Please let me know any questions you may have.

Best regards,
Suzanne Napoleon
www.FOSIexpert.com
"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

Top Tags