cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Change tracking markup should be cleaned up after last "accept"

sfogel
1-Newbie

Change tracking markup should be cleaned up after last "accept"

Hi, all. Did you know that the Arbortext change tracking namespace declaration in DITA topics breaks the build in the DITA Open Toolkit? Here’s the issue:

Even after all changes in a file are accepted or rejected, Arbortext leaves a change tracking namespace declaration and an <info> element in the file, like so:

<task id="InsertingAVaribleList-CC4AB62F" xml:lang="en" xmlns:atict="http://www.arbortext.com/namespace/atict">

<atict:info

tracking="off" ref="0" print="" color=""/><atict:user user="mcevallo"

fullname="mcevallo" color="#8000FF"/><atict:user user="sfogel"

fullname="Steve Fogel" color="#D06000"/>

The DITA OT complains about the xmlns:atict attribute of the task element and excludes the file from the build.

We at Oracle view this as a bug and suggest that all this code be removed after the last change is accepted or rejected. We’re perfectly happy to accept that the DITA OT build might break if there is actual change tracking markup in the body of the file. But once all that markup is gone, so should be the above code.

Thanks!

Steve Fogel

Information Architect

Oracle Database Information Development

1 REPLY 1

Hi Steve,

This is an interesting observation, as namespaces are part of the XML set of standards and valid in an XML document. The fact that the DITA OT is unable to process the namespace would lead me to believe it's a bug within the DITA OT.

We've had customers using the change tracking feature via namespaces since it was first introduced into Editor and I have not heard of any issues with the user information that is left in the file afterwards.

However, if you need a way to get around this, you can customise Editor using a Save hook that commands Editor to "forget the preference" set through the namespace. I can find you more details on this if it's something you consider implementing.

~ Pushpinder

Top Tags