Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Converting Photos to line drawings?

ptc-1893091

Converting Photos to line drawings?

Is it at all possible to convert a digital photograph into a line drawing within IsoDraw -- or is there a tool out there that can be used with IsoDraw to generate a line drawing from a digital photograph? My company is wondering if the only option is photo tracing - which is very time consuming for our illustrator. Thanks for any advice.
9 REPLIES 9

Re: Converting Photos to line drawings?

"Merridith Smith" wrote:

Is it at all possible to convert a digital photograph into a line drawing within IsoDraw -- or is there a tool out there that can be used with IsoDraw to generate a line drawing from a digital photograph? My company is wondering if the only option is photo tracing - which is very time consuming for our illustrator. Thanks for any advice.

Photo tracing

Hi Meridith, tracing photos manually usually is a very quick method to obtain high quality illustrations with a very realistic view. As far as I know there is no software available that creates these illustrations on a "button press". There may be some tools which do a sort of tracing of a grayscale or color photo, however the quality will be very limited and in any case the resulting files have a terrible structure. Probably a huge file size as well. Applying changes to the result is nearly impossible. Files like this (http://www.itedo.com/E/160_412.php) are created very quickly by drawing over it with IsoDraw and give you a quality that assures later work on this file as well. I recommend to give the manual photo tracing a try since the outcome will be the best to get and avoid serious trouble for the future use of files created with a function. An exception I must mention however is tracing software for black/white lineart drawings. Best, Christian

Tracing

Hi Meridith I´d like to add a couple of comments. There is no software that can indepentally creat vector illustrations from photos from scratch in the way you want it. Depending on the resolution (Details) of your photo, comercial programs like Illustrator, Corel Trace, Canvas, and Co. will decide where they will trace on your screen, and you have limited options where to start or stop each tracing procedure. Like Christian mentioned, nothing is done at a press of a button. There are couple of Open source software programs that work in the same way if you want to find out. Your best option is if your Illustrator draws in 2D in a perspective of his or her own choice, preferably Isometric, and stick to it. It will only be a question of time until you have enough spare parts in reserve to start your own library, You would have about 100 graphic units in a couple of months, which will send you on your way. This Method is very good for Users Manuals, or anything where one has to enfersize on technical matters without displaying the true dimensions of any combination of objects. Editing later on is much easier, the file sizes are at a minimum, and much better to handle. This will lead to better production, and the possibilities later on are endless when it comes to combinations with other mediums. Regards Stephen

Re: Tracing

"Stephen Simmonds" wrote:

Hi Meridith I´d like to add a couple of comments. There is no software that can indepentally creat vector illustrations from photos from scratch in the way you want it. Depending on the resolution (Details) of your photo, comercial programs like Illustrator, Corel Trace, Canvas, and Co. will decide where they will trace on your screen, and you have limited options where to start or stop each tracing procedure. Like Christian mentioned, nothing is done at a press of a button. There are couple of Open source software programs that work in the same way if you want to find out. Your best option is if your Illustrator draws in 2D in a perspective of his or her own choice, preferably Isometric, and stick to it. It will only be a question of time until you have enough spare parts in reserve to start your own library, You would have about 100 graphic units in a couple of months, which will send you on your way. This Method is very good for Users Manuals, or anything where one has to enfersize on technical matters without displaying the true dimensions of any combination of objects. Editing later on is much easier, the file sizes are at a minimum, and much better to handle. This will lead to better production, and the possibilities later on are endless when it comes to combinations with other mediums. Regards Stephen

Alternative tracing

Hi Meridith There are 2 Programs that come into mind, and they are:- Potrace (line work) WinTopo (line work) Delineate (Photo/Line work) unfortunately much trial and error for Technical Illustration work. your much better off using a vector based program. regards, Stephen

Re: Alternative tracing

There is another interesting application which is working surprisingly fine: http://vectormagic.stanford.edu/

Re: Alternative tracing

Thanks for the link to the program "Vector Magic"! With it simply enough to work. I recommend!

The corrected links:

http://vectormagic.com/home
http://vectormagic.com/desktop

Hello Merriditt,

If you want to know more about Phototracing, please feel free to read the below mentioned story about phottracing. This wat I use very often...can give some examples or even tip and tricks if necessary.

http://www.imakenews.com/ptcexpress/e_article001297478.cfm

Best Regards,

Bert Witsmeer

Mechanical Documentation Engineer/Technical Illustrator

B/E Aerospace, the Netherlands

Email: Bert_witsmeer@beaerospace.com

Hello msmith54,

As an technical Illustrator, I create lots and lots phototraced illustrations. Reason is that you can create the best illustrations by using the thick and thin lines. And also using tone colors to give an illustration make it more professional as well.

Of course I seached for other software which is capable to do it in a much faster way, but I stick with IsoDraw/CADprocess for its outstanding benefits and quality. If you want to see some example or tips and tricks please get in contact with me.

bert_witsmeer@beaerospace.com

Regards,

Bert Witsmeer

Technical Illustrator at B/E Aerospace the Netherlands.

Announcements