cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating LEPs (List of Effective Pages) Using Styler

unknown1
1-Newbie

Creating LEPs (List of Effective Pages) Using Styler

I have done some FOSI and Styler work before but not recently. I have done some table of contents and generated list of test answers at the end of a book using FOSI a few years ago. I am now looking at styler and creating a list of Effective Pages - where a list is create containing a page number and the corresponding date element content. Does anyone have tips on using styler to create this?

Thanks!
6 REPLIES 6

Deb,
I don't know if I would want to hold your breath on this one. Unless your LEP lists each page individually, I doubt Styler will be able to do it. Shoot, the only really good LEP from FOSI I've seen was proprietary using a combinationof FOSI and background processing.
Typically the LEP will group contiguous pages with the same change number into a entry (e.g., "1-1 thru 1-5 1
1-6 2
1-8 deleted 1")
You might be able to do it by listing each page individually, but then that is ugly and not "expected". 🙂

Lynn

-----"Deborah Harding" <dharding@jouve.com> wrote: -----

To: <adepters@maillist.arbortext.com>

Actually I am asked to do the ugly and list each page separately. I must list each page number and then the change date associated with that page. Any suggestions for this approach with styler? My FOSI memory is foggy but it looks like I could put FOSI source code in if styler can't do it.

Cheers!

<br /><br />Doing it for individual pages is similar<br />to doing the individual, slip-sheet change pages that some miltary technical<br />manuals seem to like. Unfortunately, this is difficult. PTC/Arbortext<br />has an application that will do this for some CALS-like DTDs, but the<br />application is specific to those DTDs. We use FOSI, and what we have done<br />for LEP is broken our manuals up into “chunks”, such as chapters,<br />procedures, glossary, etc. and manage the changes at this higher level.<br />In other words, if anything in Chapter 3 changes, the whole Chapter 3 gets<br />issued as a change. Our customer desires to “go electronic (IETM)”<br />with its manuals some day, and we convinced them that pages were irrelevant in IETMs,<br />so we manage change at a higher level than the individual page. Besides,<br />this was cheaper than developing individual change pages. <br /><br /><br /><br />Every “chunk” starts with a<br />recto page and ends with a verso. We use a “first” recto page<br />to hold the first page number and then then every verso page (including blank<br />ones) saves and overrwites its page number as the last page number of the “chunk”.<br />Recto pages other than the first one don’t save the page number.<br /><br /><br /><br />I’m not saying you could do this,<br />just reporting what we do. I am not a Styler expert, nor do I play one on<br />TV, and neither did I stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /> <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br /> <br /><br />From: Deborah Harding<br /> <br /><br />Sent: Tuesday, May 22, 2007 9:23<br />AM<br /><br />To:<br />Adepters@maillist.arbortext.com<br /><br />Subject: Re: Creating LEPs (List<br />of Effective Pages) Using Styler<br /><br /><br /><br /> <br /><br /><br /><br /><br /><br />Actually I am asked to do the ugly and list each page separately. I<br />must list each page number and then the change date associated with that page.<br />Any suggestions for this approach with styler? My FOSI memory is foggy but it<br />looks like I could put FOSI source code in if styler can't do it. &gt;&gt; To<br />unsubscribe from the list, send an email to listmanager@maillist.arbortext.com<br />with the following in the body: unsubscribe adepters - For additional<br />information on the adepters list (how to subscribe or unsubscribe etc), send an<br />email to: listmanager@maillist.arbortext.com with the following in the body:<br />info Adepters - You may also go to forums.arbortext.com, enter the Adepters<br />folder and change your subscription options and preferences.&gt;&gt; <br /><br /><br /><br />

Thanks for everyone's notes. I think I figured it out! Well at least part of it and I am getting through the cobwebs. I am sure this will be short lived.

For now Double Cheers!
lynn
1-Newbie
(To:unknown1)

Deb,

What will be short lived? The cobwebs or the LEP? 🙂

Lynn

Of course both thinking I have the LEP figured and that I am through the cobwebs.
Announcements