We have an issue with the Figures list not showing the thumbnail images for one particular user. None of our other users have this problem. Could there be a setting somewhere that is flipped, or a bug? If he opens a .c3di created by someone else, he will get a temporary glimpse of the images, but then they disappear as soon as he starts working. You can imagine the frustration of determining the image you need when you have to click through them all the time. Version 3.1 M010 build 27.
Thanks guys for any input.
Did you ever get an answer to this issue? We have a user with the same problem, but in Creo Illustrate 3.0.
So far we have tried the following:
- update video driver
- uninstall Illustrate and re-install
Still not fixed
We recently upgraded to Windows 10, and thus re-installed Illustrate 3.1. So far, all of the images are displaying correctly for each user. I'll be monitoring this to make sure if they change their libraries etc, how that might affect the display. I know that upgrading may not be an option for others, but it seems to have fixed it on our end.
Thank you for sharing that. I don't think upgrading is an option right now for us, but that is good to know. And yes, please keep us updated.
Creo Illustrate 3.1
I have had a similar issue a few times. It happened yesterday again.
I've have the issue in the photo above, and also another where a figure will display an image, but when clicked on, it changes shows another image.
I've experimented to see if I could find what causes it, by creating many images and deleting some, saving and reopening multiple time, but could not recreate it.
Anyone learned what causes it yet?
You can try to delete your user_prefs.xml from your c:\user\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\ptc\Illustrate folder. I think that will bring them back if I remember correct. Just not doing that removes any preferences you may have set in illustrate.
Thanks for the suggestion Brian. Unfortunately in the user_prefs.xml, I have some custom colors set, and also some paths to a shared symbols tools library. I may give that a try though if need be. Revising the .xml could be easier than redoing the figures!!!!!!
I just lost images again. I tried deleting the user_prefs.xml, but that did not do the trick. I was hoping it would. Very frustrating.
You could also try to rename the whole illustrate folder. ( c:\user\(your username)\AppData\Roaming\ptc\Illustrate) That may work as well.
Please openi a new Case for this issue: https://support.ptc.com/appserver/cs/case/case_logger.jsp
Opened one March 30th.....
I received some feedback from PTC...Below is what is needed for them to investigate. My system does not actually crash when I notice my figures have disappeared. I usually notice my figures are messed up after opening the file on any given day. If anyone is able to pull this off, it might help PTC correct what is happening.