cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Cross reference does not show up in a note

bfriesen
16-Pearl

Cross reference does not show up in a note

Using arbortext 6.0 m020

I have a cross reference that does not show up as gentext in a note in my sma side by side procedure. Is this the way it should be. It does show up in the pdf but it is not a blue hyperlink. Is this an issue with the program or the user?

Thanks

Bryon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is how I'm usually pinpointing issues with stylesheets...

First, for every formatted output bit (xref, para, table title, table cell, chapter title etc), there is a responsible part in your stylesheet.

If something is outputed not as you expect, then you should change your stylesheet. To find what to modify/correct, first you have to find what in particular in the stylesheet causes the "issue".

You can do brainstorming/deduction, but in complex situations or if you're not experienced enough or you're just having a bad day, it may not help - you're adding the required formatting, but are not getting expected output. Usually it means you're editing wrong content/condition rule in the stylesheet. But could also be due to deriving property values or property values are set in Property Sets or other things.

In this case I usually add some "bizarre" formatting to all the possible context/condition rules (or property sets). E.g. text color=red, text color=purple etc. So when I see the published document, I can say for sure which context/condition rule is responsible for the "incorrect" output. So you can give more insight to the rule and pinpoint the issue.

This is what I call "tracing stuff". Hope it helps.

PS Sorry for the verbose/vague post. This is exactly the case when "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead." (c) Mark Twain

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

Bryon, are you observing the issue with Out-Of-The-Box template? On my side with OOTB templates xref within a note shows OK in the PDF (i.e. it's a hyperlink and it's blue).

Also, this could be an issue with particular procedure. If you xref this particular procedure outside of Note, are you getting correct/expected results?

Looking at the sma side by side.jpg I see "incorrect" behaviour - you're not getting the title of the referenced procedure resolved. Does it happen with this aprticular procedure only?

If you're using non-OOTB template, I'd say 99% the cause lies within template. Shouldn't be hard to pinpoint it.

We are using a customized version of the sma side by side, if I take the xref out of the Note it shows up in blue in arbortext. If I put the xref in the note it does not show upand just has the diamond. If I publsih to pdf, the xref outside the note shows up fine, the one inside the note does not highlight blue. I have two different procedures that it operates the same way in both of them. We currently have a consultant group working on creating our stylesheets. They are almost read to hand them off to us. You are thinking this is apart of the style sheet?

Thanks

Bryon

Bryon

I may be overlooking something, but I'm pretty much sure it's only about the stylesheet. Arbortext files are just XMLs and it's stylesheet who is responsible for displaying formatted output (be it Editor's window or resulting PDF or other resulting format).

It should be easy to pinpoint the issue by adding "tracing" stuff to the styleseet.

Thanks for the response Dmitry, how or where do I read up on this "tracing stuff". I am expecting it may be something that the consultants have broke, while creating us our style sheet.

This is how I'm usually pinpointing issues with stylesheets...

First, for every formatted output bit (xref, para, table title, table cell, chapter title etc), there is a responsible part in your stylesheet.

If something is outputed not as you expect, then you should change your stylesheet. To find what to modify/correct, first you have to find what in particular in the stylesheet causes the "issue".

You can do brainstorming/deduction, but in complex situations or if you're not experienced enough or you're just having a bad day, it may not help - you're adding the required formatting, but are not getting expected output. Usually it means you're editing wrong content/condition rule in the stylesheet. But could also be due to deriving property values or property values are set in Property Sets or other things.

In this case I usually add some "bizarre" formatting to all the possible context/condition rules (or property sets). E.g. text color=red, text color=purple etc. So when I see the published document, I can say for sure which context/condition rule is responsible for the "incorrect" output. So you can give more insight to the rule and pinpoint the issue.

This is what I call "tracing stuff". Hope it helps.

PS Sorry for the verbose/vague post. This is exactly the case when "I didn't have time to write a short letter, so I wrote a long one instead." (c) Mark Twain

Thank you for your insightful help, I think I have tracked it down. It is with the style sheet, if I use the default one with arbortext I can see the note. If I load my style sheet it does not show unless I add a type to it (attention, important, etc..) then it shows up. I am going to go through all the revisions of the style sheet that was created for us, to see whene the problem began.

thanks

Bryon

Top Tags