cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Cursor jumps to different location in AE 6.0

kregimbald
9-Granite

Cursor jumps to different location in AE 6.0

We are using AE 6.0 with Windchill. When we open an xml document in AE 6.0 we notice that the cursor will randomly jump from one location in the document to another. Has anyone else encountered this? If so, can provide the cause and possible a fix?

It is very annoying when cutting and pasting from other docs into AE 6.0. The users must be careful not to paste content where it does not belong.

Note: Could this have anything to do with the automatic "save" in AE 6.0.?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

The solution we have discovered is to increase the AE 6.0 autosave to 60 minutes. Anything below 60 minutes will not resolve the issue. Obviously a bug with AE 6.0 but at least this is a work around until we can upgrade. Users tested for 3 weeks and reported that the problem is solved.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

The issue we had was where ever the last user was in the document when it was saved was were the cursor was located when it was opened the next time. So instead of opening at the begining of the document it opened in the middle some where. We fixed this by creating an acl script and placed it in the editinit folder. Now when you open a document, the acl script tells the the cursor to to go to the first oid in the document.

If you want to try this out. Open notepad copy and paste the goto statement goto_oid(oid_first())

Then save it as an acl file in the editinit folder. This folder is located whereever your stylesheet is saved.

Bryon

After further investigation, it appears that this may be a Windows bug (info on forums). The mouse driver may need to be updated. There is also a possibility that the mouse settings need to be changed (hide mouse pointer).

I will try hiding the mouse pointer first to see if this resolves the issue. If not, then I'll update the mouse driver.

I'll keep you posted!

Hiding the mouse pointer has helped.

It appears that neither hiding the mouse or updating the mouse driver has resolved this issue.

It looks like the problem is definitely with Arbortext Editor 6.0 M040.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Note: The issue is not when opening the document and the cursor going to a specific location in the file. We know that this happens. The issue is that while in the document the cursor will randomly jump to another line or paragraph in the document. The user may not even be revising the document when it happens (just viewing). Or, the user could be typing and the cursor jumps in mid sentence. Content is inserted in incorrectly.

Help!!

SirkoRudolph
5-Regular Member
(To:kregimbald)

What I have experienced on a laptop that the while typing I either touch the cursor pad or the cursor stick located between letter keys. Since I normally use an external mouse I usually turn off the touchpad and cursor stick when working to avoid the cursor jumping to places in the middle of typing text.

I don't know if this is relevant for you, just an idea.

Other than that I do not know of any case where Arbortext Editor caused such behaviour. I'd rather believe that it could be a specific combination of display driver and mouse driver causing this erratic behaviour.

Good luck

Sirko

The solution we have discovered is to increase the AE 6.0 autosave to 60 minutes. Anything below 60 minutes will not resolve the issue. Obviously a bug with AE 6.0 but at least this is a work around until we can upgrade. Users tested for 3 weeks and reported that the problem is solved.

Top Tags