cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Have a PTC product question you need answered fast? Chances are someone has asked it before. Learn about the community search. X

Developing Error Messages for Custom Applications with an Xliff file

dgopois
12-Amethyst

Developing Error Messages for Custom Applications with an Xliff file

Hello,

I would like create custom error messages for an ACL application. I must code the Xliff file but I'm having trouble coding this file. Could someone provide me a fragment of code as example ?

Kind regards

David

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

I don't think that attribute matters. I left it with the default value, and the file compiled just fine. The important thing is to make sure each <trans-unit> element has the "restype" attribute set to "message".

One thing that tripped me up initially: I was editing the XLIFF file in Arbortext, and trying to compile it *while it was open in Arbortext*. That was a mistake, because Arbortext puts a file lock on the file while it's open, and then the xmsgfmt.exe compiler can't access the file. Once I closed Arbortext I could use the xmsgfmt.exe utility to compile the XLIFF into an AMO file with no problem.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

XLIFF is an open standard, so a little googling will turn up a lot of resources. You should be able to find some good examples there.

Are you getting errors when trying to compile your XLIFF file? If so, there may be clues in the error messages as to what needs to be modified to fix the XLIFF file.

Something else to try: Arbortext ships with the XLIFF schema, so you can load your XLIFF document into Arbortext and it should help you find any invalid markup so you can fix it. If you're struggling to build it on your own, you can use the File->New in Arbortext, select Browse, and navigate to $APTPATH/doctypes/xliff/xliff.xsd to create a new skeleton XLIFF document.

Hello Clay,

Thanks for your help.

In the Template document (template.xlf in the directory $APTPATH/doctypes/xliff), there is a tag named "file".

For me who must create an error messages file, what should I put as value in the required attribute "original" ?

The XLIFF specification indicates that the required original attribute specifies the name of the file from which this file content is derived but in my case, I don't have a file to reference.

Do you have explanation ?

Fragment code:

<file file datatype = "cstring" original = "template" source-language = "en">

Kid regards

David

I don't think that attribute matters. I left it with the default value, and the file compiled just fine. The important thing is to make sure each <trans-unit> element has the "restype" attribute set to "message".

One thing that tripped me up initially: I was editing the XLIFF file in Arbortext, and trying to compile it *while it was open in Arbortext*. That was a mistake, because Arbortext puts a file lock on the file while it's open, and then the xmsgfmt.exe compiler can't access the file. Once I closed Arbortext I could use the xmsgfmt.exe utility to compile the XLIFF into an AMO file with no problem.

Hello Clay,

Thank you so much.

David

Top Tags