cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Document Compare: Generated Text difference

sureshmaddela
1-Newbie

Document Compare: Generated Text difference

Hi,

Though it is clearly specified in Arbortext help that "Generated text is ignored during comparisons".

I would like to know if there is any workaround/wayout to capture Generated tex differences in document compare.

All inputs are really appreciated.

Suresh
3 REPLIES 3

You could compose PDF of the two documents and use Adobe Acrobat to compare the two PDF files. The exact sequence and names/locations of menus and menu selections varies between versions of Acrobat, but I think that anything version 6 or higher has the compare functionality.

Because "gentext" is based on the document type, it would be assumed that the gentext is identical between two documents since they would both have to be the same doctype in the first place.

This concept is the reason behind not "checking" gentext for differences. Any gentext generated as a result ofcontent or attributes would be flagged as different, not because of gentext, but rather the content and/or the attributes.

Like Ed said below, you could create PDF's of the two documents and compare that, but if you have a large difference... say a paragraph was added... the PDF's will now be "different" from that page on. That is often difficult to figure out.

Hope this helps,

Bob

In Reply to Ed Benton:

You could compose PDF of the two documents and use Adobe Acrobat to compare the two PDF files. The exact sequence and names/locations of menus and menu selections varies between versions of Acrobat, but I think that anything version 6 or higher has the compare functionality.

Suresh,

You could make a copy of the FOSI and add userule="1" to the usetexts that output gentext, which would write an external ASCII file with the generated text. Then the ASCII files could be compared in WinMerge or with some other process. If content and/or attribute values are output as gentext and you don't want it to be compared, you could edit the relevant usetexts to output a placeholder instead of the content or attribute value.

For details on FOSI-generated files, go to my website at
www.FOSIexpert.com

Top Tags