cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

E3 font problem with Asian languages

ptc-953926
1-Newbie

E3 font problem with Asian languages



Adepters:







We’re using E3 for direct-to-PDF
composition. Our Windows server running E3 has the C/J/K languages
installed. When we generate, for example, a Korean language PDF, it comes
back looking great – except for one thing. All of the Korean
characters that should be italic or bold are instead in the normal stress (that
is, not italic and not bold). If we process same XML using local Epic
Publisher on a Windows workstation with C/J/K and using the same FOSI, these
characters are rendered correctly. Is anyone using E3 to produce C/J/K
who can shed some light on what we need to do to get italic and bold? Is
there some E3 configuration setting that we’re missing? Is there
some way to tell if the fonts are missing (although it would seem highly
unlikely that all of the C/J/K bold and italic fonts are not there)?








Thanks in advance,



Dave Hintz



2 REPLIES 2
pnagai
4-Participant
(To:ptc-953926)

Support
often asks me to perform a compose on the E3 Server using E3 Interactive (which
should be available on the Arbortext menu). Depending on whether you get the
fonts or still don't get the fonts, you've eliminated some avenues of research.
Support often asks me to use Distiller and E3 Interactive for the same reason.
(We don't have Distiller on our E3 Server so I can never help with this
one.)

face="Century Schoolbook">

I had one
case where there were "problems" with my font that required Arbortext font gurus
to change a bit turning on "high" characters (or something like that) and
subsequently to rename them all (not a simple filename rename) in order that
they comply with strict font naming standards.

face="Century Schoolbook">

Are you
using anything that will force E3 to activate the content pipeline? Sometimes
strange things go on in that pipeline that mystify everyone. (DCAM and Profiling
are examples of functionality that will force the pipeline into action.) Try
formatting a job without anything "fancy" to see if you get different results
outside of the pipeline.

face="Century Schoolbook">

None of
these things I've identified are likely to fix your problem (sorry!) but they
may focus your research and, eventually, support's.

face="Century Schoolbook">

Oh, and
hopefully you are on 5.1 somethingorother so many of the problems I've referred
to above have been fixed, but if you're in 5.0, they may still
apply.


------
face="Century Schoolbook">Paul Nagai


face="Century Schoolbook">



Paul,







Thanks for the tips, which I'll try. I don't
think we're using any "fancy" E3 features. In fact, we're
moving from plain old UNIX pubformat production to E3 on Windows with the same
FOSIs/XML, etc. We just installed patch L for 5.1, so we should have the
latest.








Thanks again.





Dave














<span<br/>style='font-size:10.0pt;font-family:Tahoma;font-weight:bold'>From:<font<br/>size=2 face=Tahoma>Sent: Wednesday, September 21,
2005 6:02 PM

To: adepters@arbortext.com

Subject: RE: E3 font problem with
Asian languages





<span<br/>style='font-size:12.0pt'>





<span<br/>style='font-size:12.0pt'>








Arbortext font gurus to change a bit turning on "high" characters (or
something like that) and subsequently to rename them all (not a simple filename
rename) in order that they comply with strict font naming standards.








<span<br/>style='font-size:12.0pt'>








get different results outside of the pipeline.








<span<br/>style='font-size:12.0pt'>







<span<br/>style='font-size:12.0pt'>







<span<br/>style='font-size:12.0pt;font-family:"Century Schoolbook">------



Announcements