cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Editor and Terminal Services?

kmccain
3-Visitor

Editor and Terminal Services?

Hi,

We currently have technical writers using Arbortext editor in-house with node-locked licensing. Most of these writers are still working in Arbortext 5.3 (mostly because the customer was using this version and the style sheets are designed for it).

We are looking into the feasibility of hiring some remote workers to handle an increase in workload and using terminal services with remote desktops to support them. Arbortext editor is one of the applications we would need them to work with so we would need to purchase some additional licensing. I've read some threads here regarding locked vs floating licensing for remote use.

From what I've read here, I'm still unsure what type of licensing we would need to support off-site users.

Can someone help?

Thanks,

Kim

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you are using Arbortext 5.3 there are no remote desktop restrictions. If Print Composer works while physically sitting at a machine then remoting into the same machine will work just the same.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Arbortext 5.3 does not have the restrictions you're reading about. It is only the newer Arbortext versions that use FlexNet licensing which have restrictions on terminal services sessions. For those type of remote sessions you cannot use node-locked licenses. You can use floating or registered user licenses in that situation.

Gareth,

Do you know if Print Composer will work in this scenario as well? The remote authors will need to at least use Print Preview to view their work periodically. We currently have both floating and node-locked licensing for composer. I guess I should  talk to my PTC rep.

Thanks,

Kim

If you are using Arbortext 5.3 there are no remote desktop restrictions. If Print Composer works while physically sitting at a machine then remoting into the same machine will work just the same.

Kim,

Did Gareth's answer answer your questions?

If so, then could you mark his response with "Correct Answer"?

This helps the community know that a resolution was given to the question.

Top Tags