cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about the Community Ranking System, a fun gamification element of the PTC Community. X

Elan License Server

peter.li
1-Newbie

Elan License Server

Hi All,

Is there a way to determine who's been using a Floating license? i.e. is there a logfile somewhere which logs either username or ip address?

Thanks

Pete

4 REPLIES 4

Hi Pete

The 5.4 (and earlier) Editor packages include two reporting programs along with the Elan server files. They’re in the windows\lmserver\tools subdirectory of the distribution. The programs are aptlmrpt.exe and aptlmusg.exe. One of them will do what’s desired. If you need specifics, let me know, I will need to contact RD in Ann Arbor for more information.

Thanks

Susan

-----------------------------------------------------------

Susan Fort

Product Manager, Arbortext Business Unit, PTC

- | (937) 743-9091

Hi Susan,

Since posting I have managed to install the license server on my laptop and have a play and through some trial and error I think I've managed to get the system to produce the information required.

I still can't get "aptlmrpt.exe", which requires you to point to the log file to do anything as it requires the log file to be decoded and I dont know how to do that yet.

"aptlmusg.exe", simply displays how many licenses of a particular type is being used not who is using it.

So what I did first was stop the license server,change the log verbosity to 4, then launch it again and attempted to retrieve a license for Editor, ran "wincntrl.exe", dumped the log,I then stopped it again and then viewed the log file, I can then see some user information, however as I am running on my laptop some of the information is dubious, therefore I am waiting to get onto the customer's license server to see what the log file on there looks like.

If you could check my method with R&D that would be great.

Thanks

Pete

Peter,

When you figure out how to tell who is using floatinf license please post the result to adepters.

thanks,

-Andy Esslinger

Hi,

RD provided this information back to your inquiry Pete:

The decoding isn’t necessary – you may ignore that. (We configured the server code, long ago, to put an encrypted tag on the front of every log file line.) The customer should see “SKIPPING SECURITY CHECK FOR NOW”, and then the reporting program will go ahead and produce the specified output.

The –uu option will cause aptlmrpt to show what the customer is asking for. Here’s a tiny example from a small log file I had on a test server. It only shows me using one feature, but it should illustrate how the report will show each feature, and each user who requested a license for it:

C:\temp>aptlmrpt -uu debug.log

aptlmrpt: debug.log, line 1: Secure log file not yet decoded. Use elmdecode to decode first.

SKIPPING SECURITY CHECK FOR NOW.

Total Total Over Number Number Percent Total

Feature Requests InUse SoftLim Issued Denied Denied Time Used

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

6000 2 1 2 0 0% 0:05:25

usrname 2 1 2 0 0% 0:05:25

Hope this is enough. Most of us at Arbortext will be out until January 3.

Hope all those who took the time to read this have a Very Wonderful Holiday!

Thanks

Susan

-----------------------------------------------------------

Susan Fort

Product Manager, Arbortext Business Unit, PTC

- | (937) 743-9091

Top Tags