cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Embedding SWFs in PDF via Arbortext

carolynherlin
1-Newbie

Embedding SWFs in PDF via Arbortext

Hi,

I use Arbortext to XML-based online courses using a custom Flash engine for publishing. I often have the need to embed smaller SWF files within the XML for display in the course player. But I also have a need to publish these courses in PDF format for reviewers. I use the Compose PDF option of the File menu, not the Arbortext Publishing Engine.

I want to be able to embed SWFs in the PDF so that they are interactive and will play within the PDF. I have seen an example of a SWF in a PDF like this. Does anyone know how to set up a stylesheet so that the SWF will be embedded in the PDF? I have an element that contains a path to the SWF file in an attribute. The best I have been able to do is specify the path to an html file that launches the SWF in the attribute and then define the element as a link. But this gives me a clickable link in the PDF file that launches the SWF in a separate window. I would like to have the SWF embedded within the PDF rather than linked.

Does anyone know how to do this?

Thanks,

Carolyn Herlin

1 REPLY 1

Hi Carolyn,

I'm pretty sure this is not automatable in Arbortext, eg. you would need
to embed the SWF "by hand" in Acrobat. However, I would love to hear if
what you want is possible to achieve with automated PDF generation
(direct to PDF or otherwise).

Just thinking, a clever workaround might be to roll your sleeves up and
write some clever Acrobat scripting that would find and replace certain
special images in your original PDF with the SWFs. You would need to be
pretty sharp with Acrobat scripting though I think.

Cheers,
Gareth

Top Tags