Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Epic 5.2 include mechanisms?

ClayHelberg
Pearl

Epic 5.2 include mechanisms?

Hi all--

I'm hoping one or more of the Arbortext folks can answer some specific questions about the imminent(?) Epic 5.2 release. We're preparing to make some decisions about an improved include mechanism, and I'd like to know the following:

1) In Epic 5.1M, the xinclude feature doesn't support the xpointer attribute for selecting specific pieces of content from within a document. If you use xinclude, you can only import entire files. Will 5.2 have more complete support for xinclude with xpointer?

2) In Epic 5.1M, the DITA conref support is somewhat incomplete. If I specify a conref, I can see the imported content inline, except that I can't see the tags in the imported content no matter what display mode I select. Based on the styling of the text I can tell that the tags are being properly read, but I can't see them. This makes it difficult to tell exactly what you've got sometimes. Also, editing conref content is awkward in this version (IMO)--if document A has a conref to part of document B, you can't edit the imported stuff inline, you have to open the target document and edit the imported content there. That makes sense, you don't want to make it too easy to bollox up the original document. The part that trips me up is that if you have document A open, and see imported content from document B that needs editing, you can't just open B and edit it, because the conref in doc A causes Epic to lock doc B. You can't edit B until you close A. Awkward at best (if you're the only
one editing files), possibly debilitating at worst (if someone else has a file open that contains a conref to my file and the lock prevents me from editing my document). So, I'd like to know whether a) tag view will be fixed for conref content, and b) will there be any change in the way files get locked as a result of conrefs?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

--Clay
Tags (2)
7 REPLIES 7

RE: Epic 5.2 include mechanisms?

1) No changes in our support for XInclude are in 5.2. We are aware that
many people have use cases where support for some or most of the
XPointer syntax would be useful but we have not gotten there yet.

2)a) Have you checked the value of gentexttagdisplay? From your
description, you may have this set to off. Set it to default and see if
that gives you the desired behavior. We handle the conref inclusion
mechanism by making it into generated text.

2)b) File a case with TPS on this issue. It is a bit more complicated
than it looks since if we don't lock file B then we probably should give
you a way to tell the Editor to re-process the conrefs by rereading file
B if it changed. I will also make sure that the people working on our
DITA support internally are aware of this item.

John Dreystadt
Software Development Director
Arbortext - PTC
734-327-6079
-

Whoa. Hang on a minute here. I was twice promised by tech support that
Xinclude bugs would be fixed. Specifically, "set fragmentheader" was
supposed to implemented. Are you saying that it isn't available in 5.2,
'cause that has a major impact on our staff.

Bill Lawrence

Sorry, my statement may have come across too strong. We did nothing in
5.2 to support being able to include just a part of a file. There is a
set fragmentheader option in 5.2. Sorry for the confusion.

John Dreystadt
Arbortext - PTC
734-327-6079
-

Thanks for the info, John, very helpful. Regarding 2b, if this works using gentext, would using Update Generated Text work? Or would that not trigger re-import of the content to reflect changes made to the target?

We would probably only want to do the file system checking on a full
update so we did not slow down our regular gentext processing. But you
have the right idea.

John Dreystadt
Arbortext - PTC
734-327-6079
-

Re: RE: Epic 5.2 include mechanisms?

I'm using PTC Arbortext Editor 6.1 M030 and trying to see if xpointers are supported.  My testing shows that xinclude works, but xpointers do not.  I do have filreference=xinclude set in my session (Preferences->Advanced).

Does anyone have an example the works for xpointers?  If not, may I have a statement from PTC as to whether xpointers are supported, and if not, when on the roadmap they may be?

Re: RE: Epic 5.2 include mechanisms?

If PTC Editor 6.1 is using Xerces, then I see there is only partial support for xpointers:

http://xerces.apache.org/xerces2-j/faq-xinclude.html#faq-8

which states at this time:

Does the XInclude processor support XPointer?

Yes. The XInclude processor supports the XPointer Framework and the XPointer element() Scheme. The XPointer xpointer() Scheme is currently not supported.

Announcements