cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need help navigating or using the PTC Community? Contact the community team. X

Epic Editor and S1000D

ptc-2060240
1-Newbie

Epic Editor and S1000D

Hi, Does anyone in this forum have experience using Epic Editor with S1000D schema or DTDs? I've been tasked to do an eval of Epic Editor (rather quickly) but first I have to learn how to use it. We are about to collaborate with a client to update their aviation manuals. They use Arbortext Epic Editor (version unk) and we use Framemaker 7.2. We are in two minds: there is some thought that we should get Epic while there is other thought that we stick with Framemaker, as long as we can get their DTDs. I've gone through the tutorial and looked at the templates that come packaged with Epic. I've tried to plunge straight in and import/use an S1000D DTD but I can't find/don't understand how Epic does it (beside the fact that when I clicked on Import in the menu, I was told I didn't have the licence - there's a way to make money!) I know how to do this in Frame but I want to give Epic a chance. Could someone please advise me or point me in the right direction to where I can get the info. Help appreciated. Cheers Carl Sarelius Technical Author
4 REPLIES 4

You may look into the ArbortextEditor(AE) help files. Start AE and go to Help > Helptopics (or press F1) There you can find a lot of help for AE. What you are looking for is located under "Content > Customizing Arbortext Editor > Installing and porting document types" I suggest you read those help files. It's rather easy to include a new doctype. Good luck

"Carl Sarelius" wrote:

Hi, Does anyone in this forum have experience using Epic Editor with S1000D schema or DTDs? I've been tasked to do an eval of Epic Editor (rather quickly) but first I have to learn how to use it. We are about to collaborate with a client to update their aviation manuals. They use Arbortext Epic Editor (version unk) and we use Framemaker 7.2. We are in two minds: there is some thought that we should get Epic while there is other thought that we stick with Framemaker, as long as we can get their DTDs. I've gone through the tutorial and looked at the templates that come packaged with Epic. I've tried to plunge straight in and import/use an S1000D DTD but I can't find/don't understand how Epic does it (beside the fact that when I clicked on Import in the menu, I was told I didn't have the licence - there's a way to make money!) I know how to do this in Frame but I want to give Epic a chance. Could someone please advise me or point me in the right direction to where I can get the info. Help appreciated. Cheers Carl Sarelius Technical Author

IanBoulton
5-Regular Member
(To:RichardKarlik)

We have a product for S1000D specifically designed to work with Editor and the PTC Common Source Database. Have you contacted PTC sales for a demo of the solution? Thanks...

lfraley
6-Contributor
(To:ptc-2060240)

I would not attempt to do S1000D in FrameMaker. In order to get the S1000D DTDs to work with FrameMaker, you'll need to create an S1000D EDD (the FrameMaker proprietary programming language). Even DITA doesn't work without an external, additional plug-in. Arbortext Editor supports the DTDs (XML and SGML) natively.

Top Tags