cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

FOSI capabilities and PDF Bookmarks?

ptc-953343
1-Newbie

FOSI capabilities and PDF Bookmarks?

Can someone tell me where the annotate Output Specification document is located? I was looking around and didn't find it in the obvious docs folder (at least not with a name I recognized).

I'm trying to find out if PTC extended FOSI to support the generation of PDF bookmarks. Related to that will be when as I'm working in a 5.3 (might get to 5.4 next year) environment.

..dan

10 REPLIES 10

Hi Dan,

I've attached the relevant section from my almost-finished book, which is based on 5.3.

Good luck!

Suzanne Napoleon
www.FOSIexpert.com
"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

thanks, this looks good

do you know where that annotated Output Spec document lives?

..dan

It's in the tutorials directory.

Suzanne

Thanks for the notes. In looking at my configuration for this DTD/FOSI, it looks like the elementoption for the title tag was not in the DCF file. When I added the title I got a bunch of stuff in the bookmarks area and I'm not sure what is controlling that as other changes in the DCF to modify division settings does not seem to take affect. At first I was thinking that it was just producing the print TCO into the bookmarks area but the level of detail is much greater.

In the DCF I have the follwing elements listed as divisions:

appendix

chapter1

chapter2

chapter9 (yeah there is a separate chapter tag for each chapter)

para0

figure

I get a list of tables even though it is not in the DCF and I don't get the figures, yet it is there. The chapter tiltes are not listed, but all the places a title appears in the chapter seem to be list. Any idea what is going on here? In looking at the books marks a little more I have:

+ toc

+ tables

+ toc

The first toc when expanded seems to be a very flat listing of all the tiltes (no nesting). It actually appears to be too long for Acrobat to display it. When expanded, I loose the other tables and toc sections. The tables section appears to be a good list of all the tables across the document. The second toc section has some nesting. It seems to start with the section heads, with the para0s nested - still no chapter titles, but it does pickup the appendix breaks and nests content in those.

The paper TOC lists that chapter tiles and the section titltes.

Is there anyway to nest results in the bookmarks or how is this controlled? I'm getting some strange results that I can't explain if the bookmarks are generated based upon the DCF entries.

..dan

Dan,

I'll bet that any element you set as category="title" in the dcf will produce a bookmark in the PDF (almost).

The Arbortext help reads: "Epic Editor generates PDF bookmarks for every occurrence of an element whose configured as a division Title in a document type's .dcf file, regardless of context. Any generated text (controlled by your FOSI) that is produced as part of a division title element is also added to the bookmark."

My DTD:

Here is a piece of wisdom from their tech support when I couldn't make the title of figures show as bookmarks because I was saving the title and then using it after the graphic:

The problem you are running into is the need for a bookmark to be created from the first block of text following the <title> tag.
Placing your usetext for the graphic title at the end of the <figure> element (after the graphic) has the effect of violating this rule even though it is literally the first block of text after the <title> tag.
In any case, the way to get around this is to 'trick' Distiller so that the content of the <title> element is treated as a title. Of course the content of <title> has to be suppressed or the title would appear above the graphic and it is this suppression which causes it not to the first block of text to follow <title>. I was able to do the following:

1. Remove the usetext from the <title> e-i-c.

2. Add an e-i-c of 'title' in the context of 'pseudo.' 'pseudo' is an arbitrary name for a pseudo-element.

3. Add the usetext to the <graphic> element, with a placement of 'after' and a 'source' as follows: <pseudo>,<title>,figtitle,</title>,</pseudo>
The <pseudo> pseudo-element is needed so that <title> appears in a context that won't be suppressed. It may be that the usetext could be added to <figure> or <title>, but I was running into the problem of the text CHAPTER 1 appearing in the usetext and adding the usetext to the <graphic> element worked.

-Andy

\ / Andy Esslinger LM Aero - Tech Order Data
_____-/\-_____ (817) 279-0442 1 Lockheed Blvd, MZ 4285
\_\/_/ (817) 777 3047 Fort Worth, TX 76108-3916

I am experimenting with rotating the text in a table header row using FOSI. I am using the TeX code recommended in Suzanne Napoleons web page (fosiexpert.com):

<usetext source="%\hbox{\special{pub:" rotate=" 39}%,10pt,#content,%}%&quot;="></usetext>

I do this in an e-i-c for <entry> in the context of <thead> <e-i-c gi="entry" context="*" thead&quot;=">
I suppress the entry contents.

The PDF output seems to work OK, except for the fact that the rotated text runs into the text above the table and overwrites it. For long tables, when the header is repeated on every page, the table header text overwrites some of the page header and runs off the top of the page.

I tried putting a large amount of vertical pre-space before the table. This works when there is regular text on the page above the table, but when the table is continued onto the next page, the table header text runs onto the page header and overwrites some of the page header and runs off the top of the page.

Does anyone know of a solution for this issue?

In Reply to Andy Esslinger:

Dan,

I'll bet that any element you set as category="title" in the dcf will produce a bookmark in the PDF (almost).

The Arbortext help reads: "Epic Editor generates PDF bookmarks for every occurrence of an element whose configured as a division Title in a document type's .dcf file, regardless of context. Any generated text (controlled by your FOSI) that is produced as part of a division title element is also added to the bookmark."

Never mind, just found this:

Have the FOSI produce the following at beginning of the document, which has the effect of disabling automatic

Other than manually setting the row height? No, not that I'm aware of.
That's what we used to do when using the tex "hack." Later versions of
Arbortext support rotate (but possibly only on the 90s) so we were able to
(maybe we still are ... as we update stylesheets using the hack) eliminate
the row height PIs.

Thanks, Paul. I forgot about row height. Duh.
Now that I have that solved, I am still having a problem with the horizontal alignment of the rotated text. I don't know enough TeX to be able to figure out how to make the rotated text appear in the center of the cell instead of clinging to the left cell border. See attached PNG.

[rotated.PNG]
Top Tags