I have been creating Japanese documentation using ADEPT global by translating English SGML sources. I guess you can use the same DTD and FOSI with ones for English for your compiling Japanese or Korean SGML sources generally.
Although it was not everything which I performed to DTD and FOSI for our processing Japanese SGML sources, translating some strings in the FOSI file (such as "Chapter", "Section", "Contents", "Index", "Figures" etc.) into Japanese was major work.
/Takayoshi Oda Compaq Japan
> >>>>> "David" == David L Hintz writes: > > David> Hi, Is anyone currently using the global versions of ADEPT products ? > David> We are currently using ADEPT*Editor and Publisher to produce > David> English, French, and German versions of our documentation. We woul d > David> now like to have our SGML translated to Japanese and Korean. What > David> sort of work is involved in "converting" the DTD and FOSI to a > David> multi-byte (unicode?) language. I'd be interested in hearing from > David> anyone who's been down this path and could offer some insight as to > David> the problems we should expect to encounter. > > Please respond to the list, as at least one other person is interested in > this subject: Me! 🙂 > > Ed > -- > Ed Bailey Red Hat, Inc. http://www.redhat.com/
>>>>> "Takayoshi" == Takayoshi Oda writes: ... Takayoshi> Although it was not everything which I performed to DTD and FOSI Takayoshi> for our processing Japanese SGML sources, translating some Takayoshi> strings in the FOSI file (such as "Chapter", "Section", Takayoshi> "Contents", "Index", "Figures" etc.) into Japanese was major Takayoshi> work. ... We are producing French and German content from English SGML sources, and have also translated the strings in the FOSI. But what we did was to use the m4 macro processor (We're primarily a Linux shop, and are running ADEPT under Solaris). Once we had a FOSI that produced acceptable English output, we simply replaced each English string in the FOSI with a macro name (for example, "Chapter" becomes "RH_CHAPTER").
Then we simply set up a file that defines the all the macros appropriately, and run the "macro-ized" FOSI through m4. Presto -- out comes the original FOSI. We then only need to have our translation company translate about 30 words or phrases in our macro definitions, and we can produce a foreign-language FOSI literally in seconds.
If anyone's interested, here's our English m4 file: