cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - If community subscription notifications are filling up your inbox you can set up a daily digest and get all your notifications in a single email. X

Globally change fonts used in a graphic

dreason
1-Newbie

Globally change fonts used in a graphic

Running IsoDraw 7.3 on Win7 pc.

Using Batch to convert CGM files to SVG.

Would like to remap all Fonts (most are Arial), changing them to Helvetica.

How to batch change the Fonts, whether in the file while it's open, or during the batch export process?

We certainly could write code and run it against the SVG files afterward, but will IsoDraw do it?

Thanks,

Dave

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

In the batch tool you have the option to apply a macro to the file prior to the export. Haven't tested that the following works in the tool itself (there are a few hiccups using macros in the batch tool) but it is pretty basic so it should be fine.

Just save the following as a macro and then restart IsoDraw. In the selection for macro add this. Note that if the name of Helvetica is different such as a thin version, you'll need to update accordingly.

Macro Text_to_Helvetica

Select if Type is "Text"

Text Font "Helvetica"

Select None

End Macro

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8

Hey David - I've moved this discussion into our PTC Arbortext‌ product community so that other IsoDraw users can help you with this question. We reserve the PTC Community Help‌ group for conversations about the PTC Community website. Best of luck!

In the batch tool you have the option to apply a macro to the file prior to the export. Haven't tested that the following works in the tool itself (there are a few hiccups using macros in the batch tool) but it is pretty basic so it should be fine.

Just save the following as a macro and then restart IsoDraw. In the selection for macro add this. Note that if the name of Helvetica is different such as a thin version, you'll need to update accordingly.

Macro Text_to_Helvetica

Select if Type is "Text"

Text Font "Helvetica"

Select None

End Macro

Thank you!

Could I trouble you to explain each line? It looks like the middle line is finding instances of Helvetica (which will not exist) and the next line is changing that font to None, which should be Helvetica.

Where is the reference guide for macro use? (I have to use online helps because the in-app Help Menu options don’t work.)

Thanks again.

Dave

Not a problem. To be clear, I'll number each line so that we are clear on what does what. Sounds like you might be new to this. 😉

1) Macro Text_to_Helvetica

2)    Select if Type is "Text"

3)    Text Font "Helvetica"

4)    Select None

5) End Macro

1) Simply indicating the start of the macro and its' name.

2) Selects all text (size, face, and type does not matter).

3) Set font to Helvetica for the selection.

4) Clears the selection. I tend to do this a lot so that if you accidentally hit delete when done you don't have all your text disappear (though stepping back would bring it back).

5) Just the closure of the macro.

In regards to the help. If you can't get it from the help menu in IsoDraw (click the first selection under Help, it's all together after that, you can reference the attached which is from 7.3.

We certainly can tell when the newbies show up! I used to hang around coding forums but quality help was always there without me getting into the mix. So, I stayed out of it. But you can see it, fer shur!

Anyway, this is certainly pretty simple. For testing, I set it to change everything to something that stands out, Lucida Calligraphy. It worked great.

Now, I have it set to change to Helvetica and it does NOT work. I see all the textboxes on the graphic momentarily select, and then unselect, as expected -- and as they did when I tested. However, the fonts don't change to Helvetica. I checked the user guide you sent for something like 'refresh', or 'update', but did not see it.

What do I need to do? [* he asked, as he flipped open the book to read the - cotton-pickin - manual   🙂   *]

Thanks for your help!

Dave

No offense to newbies. I'm working on a Linux VirtualBox and feel lost. Have been asking basic questions through Google and still haven't figured it out. 😉

Two items that come to mind initially.

First, the name must be exact. If 'Helvetica' is actually listed as 'helvetica' or anything other you'll need to match.

Second is something I've forgotten to check and realized me error after a bit. Can you manually set the font of a text element to Helvetica? This not only confirms the font is installed, but also usable by IsoDraw. I know I have a 'slightly' outdated version (15+ years old and multiple conversions in) that IsoDraw will display but the PDF export for instance does not like it.

I think I discovered this as you were typing!

Other Fonts worked and when I looked, Helvetica was not available on the Font Menu in ISoD. (So many years ago, the group I was in at the time switched all Helvetica to Arial, because the latter is a windows default font. Now, my boss says we provide Helvetica with our products and it is part of the installer, and we will use it.)

So I checked and confirmed I did not have it installed at all. After installing the entire set, all is well.

I realize I need to account for all versions of all fonts that might be encountered in the graphics file set and will proceed now accordingly.

Thank you!

(While I endeavor to find my own answers before reaching out, you might hear from me again here.)

Dave

Glad you figured it out. We're stuck in Helvetica as well. Have been pushing for Arial myself for likely the same reasons you did. I want to say only two characters have a difference in ligatures anyways. Oh well.

Feel free to ask away. Always glad to help.

~Trevor

Top Tags