cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Has anyone been able to integrate Arbortext and Windchill when single sign on protocol is in place?

rjones-7
1-Newbie

Has anyone been able to integrate Arbortext and Windchill when single sign on protocol is in place?

9 REPLIES 9
lfraley
6-Contributor
(To:rjones-7)

I'm not sure what you mean. Are you unable to log into Windchill via the Object browser/Object menu in Arbortext Editor?

smaclean
4-Participant

When we went to single sign-on we had issues because we could not get Arbortext to work with IIS.

Our workaround has been to keep one of the server's in our cluster running Apache instead of IIS and then we just set a host entry for our Arbortext users so they always hit that server. We don't have a larger number of Arbortext users so it has been acceptable.

lfraley
6-Contributor
(To:smaclean)

HI Stewart,

I'm still not understanding. What do you mean by "does not work for Arbortext users" ? What specifically? It's hard to diagnose when there's no specific information.

Liz

smaclean
4-Participant
(To:lfraley)

Liz,

I just meant when we switched our Windchill installation to Single sign-on we changed the servers to IIS.

From Arbortext when you tried to use PTC Server adapter to connect Arbortext to Windchill it would not validate credentials and return an error.

We needed to have one of our Windchill servers still run Apache as a webserver.

I am also not the server expert but I believe the issue with IIS was that they used NTML authentication. If need be I could try to get more specific details if there were specific questions I could ask our infrastructure team.

Hopefully this helps clarify

Stew

Thanks for the feedback. I believe we are using IIS on Oracle servers. Single sign-on is our network protocol.  I am not an expert in this area, but my understanding is that unlike some other PTC products, Arbortext has yet to be upgraded to work with single sign-on. So with regard to the reply about using an Apache server - do your Arbortext users have to authenticate each  time they login to Windchill  from Arbortext or can they access Windchill from Arbortext without additional authentication after they initially logon to their computer - i.e., does Apache support single sign-on only, or individual authentication only or both in the context of an Arbortext/Windchill integration? If you guys were successfully using single sign-on supported with Apache before moving to IIS,  please discuss what you know (or what you think) caused the authentication issue  when you moved to the IIS.

With regard to the question about "Are you unable to log into Windchill via the Object browser/Object menu in Arbortext Editor?", the answer is yes. We get a weird message that indicates Arbortext is looking for some "home-grown" authentication protocol on the Windchill side that it cannot find, so we been unable to achieve the Arbortext/Windchill integration.

Again thanks for the responses.

smaclean
4-Participant

Yes our Arbortext users must still enter credentials but Windchill is now SSO. Sorry I misunderstood your query. You actually want Arbortext to be SSO from the sounds of it.

byork
17-Peridot

I thought either 6.1 or 7.0 can handle SSO.  Pushpinder Toor‌ can you verify?

Thanks,

Brian

rjones-7
1-Newbie
(To:byork)

I talked to PTC about three weeks ago and they said that an Arbortext fix for SSO compatibility was in the works, but they did not commit to a date or identify a release number for the upgraded version. That's why I am canvassing for a possible workaround that other Arbortext/Windchill users  may have been able to implement.

byork
17-Peridot

@rjones-7 - Did you ever figure out a workaround? 

Top Tags