cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Want the oppurtunity to discuss enhancements to PTC products? Join a working group! X

How can I use ACM efficiently to manage the translations in multi-languages?

ptc-5110902
1-Newbie

How can I use ACM efficiently to manage the translations in multi-languages?

Hello there,

I was wondering if any of you who is familiar to Arbortext Content Manager could help me out.

I am trying to translate a manual made with DITA into multi-languages by using ACM.

However, I am not certain how to manage the translation efficiently by ACM.

For example, if you have a part of topic that has been changed or renewed, what kind of steps would you take to reflect it efficiently to the translations in other languages by using ACM?

Thank you very much in advance.

Tomomi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Translation management is not an "out of the box" feature in ACM. It can be implemented as a set of customisations, or I believe you could upgrade to the new Windchill Service Information Manager product from PTC which is supposed to support language translations for content objects.

If either of those are not an option then you might have to resort to soft type attributes or Excel spreadsheets to track versions and object relationships

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Translation management is not an "out of the box" feature in ACM. It can be implemented as a set of customisations, or I believe you could upgrade to the new Windchill Service Information Manager product from PTC which is supposed to support language translations for content objects.

If either of those are not an option then you might have to resort to soft type attributes or Excel spreadsheets to track versions and object relationships

Dear Gareth,

Thank you very much for your answer.

Would you mind me asking you a question concerning your answer?

What is "soft type attribute"? And for what do you use it?

Also if I want to use this "soft type attribute", what sort of setting is needed?

Thanks again.

Tomomi

Soft Type Attribute is a Windchill (ACM) feature where you can add your own attributes to objects stored in the content repository. I was thinking you could add your own attributes to annotate your objects with various translation status information.

If you don't have good knowledge of Windchill it might just be easier to use Excel though!

I see. I will first try to work on the ACM feature.

If it doesn't go well, I will try Excel.

Your answer is highly appreciated!

Regards,

Tomomi

Top Tags