cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

How do you fix the file names that are too long to upload?

ptc-5110902
1-Newbie

How do you fix the file names that are too long to upload?

Hello there,

I uploaded the burst configuration files to ACM as adviced, then it started to load the burst setting.

Since then, whenever I try to upload ditamaps and dita files which were made on the local, the upload fails and a warning comes up saying "the file name is too long".

It seems that the file name is changed automatically to a name containing the pass, and that makes the file name too long.

Could anyone give me any help with this?

Kind regards,

Tomomi

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

This is where I disagree with PTC's implementation of "don't store duplicate files". The way Windchill/ACM tracks whether you already checked in the same file is to store the local filesystem path at the time of import. Instead it should use something like the concept of a Topic ID scoped at the organisation level.

Sadly there is no simple way to change the de-duplication behaviour. Instead you should just check-in your files from a shorter path, eg. c:\dita\

Once all DITA is stored in ACM then the local filesystem paths no longer matter, only when you check-in new files should you need to use c:\dita\ once more.

-Gareth

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

This is where I disagree with PTC's implementation of "don't store duplicate files". The way Windchill/ACM tracks whether you already checked in the same file is to store the local filesystem path at the time of import. Instead it should use something like the concept of a Topic ID scoped at the organisation level.

Sadly there is no simple way to change the de-duplication behaviour. Instead you should just check-in your files from a shorter path, eg. c:\dita\

Once all DITA is stored in ACM then the local filesystem paths no longer matter, only when you check-in new files should you need to use c:\dita\ once more.

-Gareth

Hello Gareth,

Thank you very much for your prompt and accurate responce as usual.

It is highly appreciated.

May I ask you another question?

Last week, when I created this discussion topic, I tried to upload those DITA files which failed because of the reason written above, and what made the file names too long was the fact that the files named in Japanese (as I am Japanese) were converted into several chunks of signals and alphabets.

Ex) インバータ (which means "inverter") => #0ab1#cde2........

It looked like one Japanese character was converted into 4 or 5 signals and letters.

However, when I tried to upload another DITA file named in Japanese to ACM today, just now, in order to figure out what Japanese character is converted into what, the file was succesfully uploaded with the Japanese file name.

Do you have any idea how this happened?

I am sorry to trouble you but I look forward to your answer.

Kind regards,

Tomomi

You should probably create a support call with PTC so they can debug what is going on with your Japanese characters. It *should* all work but obviously isn't! The simple answer is to use Latin alphabet for your filenames but I understand that may not be an appropriate solution.

I see that. I will tell my colleague to ask PTC for support.

Thank you very much for your advice!

Best regards,

Tomomi

Top Tags