cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

How do you select the DTD for a XML file?

cmunteanu
2-Guest

How do you select the DTD for a XML file?

Hi,

First time I have opened a XML file I was asked to browse  for a XML Schema or a DTD.
I selected a DTD, but it was the wrong DTD file.

Now I want to select another DTD file for my XML file. But I can't find any option to select a new DTD, and every time I open a XML file it has the first selected DTD, which is wrong!

How can I select a new DTD for my XML files?

Thank you

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

To get the opportunity browse again to a dtd, then you need to delete the cache directory, which is where Arbortext Editor stores the location of the browsed dtd. See Help > Session > Session (tab) and scroll down to "Cache directory".

Close Arbortext Editor. Use Windows Explorer to locate the Arbortext Editor's cache directory. Delete the doctypes directory in that cache directory.

Another method for placing your document types, stylesheets and related doctype documents is to place them in the ArbortextInstallPath\custom\doctypes directory. Arbortext Editor automatically checks this area for dtds. For further details see the Arbortext Editor Help Center for information about the custom directory.

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6

I created a "doctypes" folder in "my Arbortext" folder on my hard drive, outside of the PTC (Arbortext Editor) folder. I downloaded my DTD from the AMECOM website and inserted the DTD in the doctypes folder (the other files you see in "my Arbortext" folder were also downloaded from the same site as the DTD).

I open (File->New) a new document in Arbortext Editor and the New Document window appears. I select the browse button and navigate to my doctypes folder, select the DTD I need to use (as indicated-You will navigate to where your DTDs are stored) and then my new document using the selected DTD opens and I can start working. Hope this helps.

Mike

To get the opportunity browse again to a dtd, then you need to delete the cache directory, which is where Arbortext Editor stores the location of the browsed dtd. See Help > Session > Session (tab) and scroll down to "Cache directory".

Close Arbortext Editor. Use Windows Explorer to locate the Arbortext Editor's cache directory. Delete the doctypes directory in that cache directory.

Another method for placing your document types, stylesheets and related doctype documents is to place them in the ArbortextInstallPath\custom\doctypes directory. Arbortext Editor automatically checks this area for dtds. For further details see the Arbortext Editor Help Center for information about the custom directory.

I second Tim's suggestion to setup a "custom" doctypes folder and use catalog files to associate PUBLIC IDs with actual DTD file locations.

I keep the original files in the PTC folder and do not "infect" the original PTC folder with changes. This is how I have operated at my last two companies. My prior company has an Arbortext Administrator who strictly enforced this setup (leaving PTC folder isolated and using a "My Arbortext" folder for things that change/need updating). I assumed the Arbortext Administrator knew better than me so I continue using this procedure at my current company and suggest others that do not know the intricacies of Arbortext Editor to do the same and leave the complexities of PTC to the experts.

Good policy - you don't want to mess with the PTC folder as it can cause big problems when updating. The "My Arbortext" folder can be setup very simply by configuring the APTCUSTOM environment variable to point to the folder location. You can then copy over the "custom" folder contents from the original PTC folder. This will act as a template for the folder structure of your "My Arbortext" folder. If you ever move to a new machine, just copy over the "My Arbortext" folder and setup the APTCUSTOM again on the new machine.

Cosmin,

Be very careful when you configure your APTCUSTOM environment (Tools->Preferences->click on File Locations). Do not delete any of the original paths, only add your new path to the File Locations.

If you delete any of the original/existing paths, Arbortext Editor will stop functioning and you will have to either reinstall Arbortext Editor or .have someone from PTC reconfigure your Arbortext Editor. I speak from experience!!!

Mike

Top Tags