cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you know you can set a signature that will be added to all your posts? Set it here! X

How to split footnotes in Arbortext

rgrobler
1-Newbie

How to split footnotes in Arbortext

I've been trying to get lengthy footnotes to split and run onto the next page's footnote section when outputting to PDF. The reason for this is that I've got footnotes with a lot of text in them, and they are just pushing up the rest of the page's content to the extent that it looks completely unbalanced. By default, Arbortext keeps footnotes on the same page as their references, however I've acquired an APP-template that should enable footnote splitting. Unfortunately it isn't working. I've attached the template to this question. If anyone with APP-template knowledge could take a look and let me know what's missing/incorrect it would be much appreciated!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

If you're using APP through Styler, footnote splitting is problematic.

As Gareth mentioned, you should be able to do source edits that will replace the default footnote control stream generated by Styler. However, we have found with other customers that the formatting operation will crash intermittently.

Further, the source editing required is not trivial and requires writing a JavaScript to replace the control stream. If you're not familiar with JavaScript and/or APP, it's probably best to work with a service provider to make the changes.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2

Sorry I haven't had chance to review your attachment but the way it works in APP is you define a "footnote control stream". This is basically a set of preferences for footnote handling, and is applied to the main text frame. When footnotes are encountered on the main text frame they are placed according to the rules and preferences defined in the "footnote control stream".

If you are using Styler then I guess you will need to do some APP source edits, or attach an overriding template file.

Either way the main parameter you need to set is "maximum footnote height". I believe the default preferences would then allow a footnote to split over pages. There are further preferences you can adjust in this area, if you have APP Desktop you can use the "tfnote" dialog box to see them all. If you are on Styler then you will need to read the FOM reference document instead.

If you're using APP through Styler, footnote splitting is problematic.

As Gareth mentioned, you should be able to do source edits that will replace the default footnote control stream generated by Styler. However, we have found with other customers that the formatting operation will crash intermittently.

Further, the source editing required is not trivial and requires writing a JavaScript to replace the control stream. If you're not familiar with JavaScript and/or APP, it's probably best to work with a service provider to make the changes.

Top Tags