cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Your Friends List is a way to easily have access to the community members that you interact with the most! X

Hyphenation boondoggle.

cleccese
6-Contributor

Hyphenation boondoggle.

I'm posting this because I hope it helps someone. I was having a lot of trouble with hyphenation breaking before a period

<title><xref/></title>

So it lookedlike this:

2.1 YADA/Yada-yada (YADA) Yada/Yada
. (Figure 2).

Not cool. The first period is from the xref's beforetext, the space after the first period is from the xref's aftertext and the last period is from the title's aftertext.

I played with hyphrule, keeps, wordsp, quadding, hyphenad nauseum. but this is the only thing that worked: moving the period and space to the xref's beforetext, and hitting the space bar after the period like so:

<savetext textid="beforetext" conrule="\." \,.9em&quot;=" placemnt="before"/">

This didn't work: <savetext textid="beforetext" conrule="\.\,1em" placemnt="before"/"> and putting \. \ in the aftertext didn't work, either.

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Caroline,

A fixed space such as .9em or 6pt or 1.5pi is unbreakable, so a word space is needed to allow a line break.

However, this does not appear to be in my book, so thanks for posting. I will add it.

Thanks!

Suzanne Napoleon
www.FOSIexpert.com
"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

cleccese
6-Contributor
(To:cleccese)

Yay!

It appears the line would overset before the "after" word space is encountered.

BTW: a fixed space is useful for preventing line breaks. For example, usetext source="\Fig.\,4pt,figurect.txt" keeps "Fig." and the figure number on the same line. However, if a line break is needed but a word space is not available, the formatter will break the line at a fixed space rather than overset the line.

cleccese
6-Contributor
(To:cleccese)

I am having that exact problem, something I did since is causing the line breaking on Figure. I can't believe I didn't try the hard space there, keeps isn't working. Thanks again, Suzanne! By posting in an attempt to help others, I actually helped myself.

This is for a two-column layout. In some cases the title was oversetting into the next column, with some keeps, or if wordsp avoidoverfull="min".

Top Tags