cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Need to share some code when posting a question or reply? Make sure to use the "Insert code sample" menu option. Learn more! X

Instructions for installing and applying Arbortext license(s)?

cscott-3
1-Newbie

Instructions for installing and applying Arbortext license(s)?

Just started a new job, and due to a PC upgrade (and subsequent hard-drive wipe) I had to re-install Arbortext Editor 6.0. Because the old license files were deleted in the upgrade, I requested and received two license packs (text files) from PTC. Are there any instructions on what I do now? (I've used Arbortext in the past, but have always had admins to handle licensing issues.) Thanks in advance!

4 REPLIES 4

There are two types of licensing: fixed (node locked) and floating (concurrent). If you've got a fixed license, you copy the file to your machine and set the PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE to point to that file. If you've got a floating license, you need to setup the FlexNet Publisher license server and install the license file into that server. The Arbortext machine then has PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE point to 7788@server-host-name, where server-host-name is the domain name or IP address of the FlexNet license server.

Thanks for the quick reply, Gareth. Still confused, though. For starters:

"If you've got a fixed license..." How can I tell which license I have? They sent two license files. I would assume I have fixed, but I don't know.

"...copy the file to your machine..." Copy to where on my machine? Any particular folder or directory?

"...set the PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE to point to that file." Where is that file and how do I set it to point to another file?

We copy the license file to a folder on the c: ex C:\PTC License file.

Then go to system in control panel and choose advanced system settings. Choose Environment Variables.

Under system variables, create a new variable PTC_D_LICENSE_FILE. Set the value to C:\PTC License file\name of your licence file.txt. Like Gareth stated, If you have a server which hands out licenses you can change the value to 7788@server-host-name.

Bryon

Looks as if I'll need sysadmin help. I'm on a gov PC, and don't have the necessary permissions. This info should help, though. Thanks to both of you.

Top Tags