cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Invalid Schema/DTD File

Ren11234
2-Guest

Invalid Schema/DTD File

Hello Everyone, I work in IT support and a user came to me with an arbortext issue for me to troubleshoot. Im new to this job and extremely new to arbortext. He needs to open an XML file and a DTD file together. when opening either of the files no matter the order, Arbortext gives an error that it cannot parse the DTD/XML File. The DTD file specifically produces the error "Invalid Schema/DTD File". The error is related to XML compliance and i have no idea how to fix it. 

ive searched around quite a bit and found this possible solution - 

"Click on Cancel and choose Tools > Compile Document Type to compile your document type and use your existing document type with the parsing rules used in previous versions of ArbortextEditor"

We are using Servgistics arbortext, im not sure if thats something different then that article was referencing but there is no "Compile Document Type" under tools on the top bar.

Sorry if I worded this poorly I would  really appreciate it if anyone could point me in the right direction, thank you

2 REPLIES 2

For the inexperienced IT support person it is going to be quite tough to figure out what is wrong with the Schema or DTD file. That file is essentially the set of rules governing the allowable document structure e.g. what tags are allowed to go where, such as enforcing that each chapter can have only a single title.

What you're meant to do with Arbortext is install "doctypes" (document type configurations) which combine the Schema/DTD, stylesheet (for screen or print styling), scripting for any customisations, etc. Arbortext comes with a number of doctypes out-of-the-box - if you go File->New you will see a range to select from.

If the user's XML does not match an out-of-the-box doctype then really you should create a doctype plugin to support it. The doctype plugin would contain the Schema/DTD files, XML catalog file, and .dcf file. That is basically the minimum. This plugin can then be placed in a "custom" folder and linked into Arbortext using the APTCUSTOM environment variable to point to the plugin path.

Those are the basics. In many cases an experienced third-party services company such as GPSL (www.gpsl.co) is better placed to help create and support doctype plugins.

Thank you for the reply that clears alot up for me

Top Tags