cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can subscribe to a forum, label or individual post and receive email notifications when someone posts a new topic or reply. Learn more! X

Is arbortext editor slow?

bfriesen
16-Pearl

Is arbortext editor slow?

When we open a topic in our ditamap the file pops open almost immediately, but then the we get a not responding and after about a minute of waiting the resource manager pops up and now you can do something. Is this normal, issue with style sheet?, issue with program? If you go to the ditamap and open a another topic, it renders the complete program useless for another minute or so while it opens the other topic. Is this how it is supposed to be? Also when you are adding a content reference does it more that a minute to generate the list. My desktop system is not bad (E5620 @ 2.4 with 20gb ram) 64 bit operating system.

We are running 6.0 m40, our style sheet development started in 5.4 then we upgraded to 6 and the style sheet followed in development.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Bryon

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

When a topic is opened, the Resource Manager is filling in the contents of view with the Drive / CMS according to the current "Look in". If this is a slower network drive, or a drive with many, many items, then this can take some time.

If I am not in the mode of inserting xrefs, links or conrefs, then I do not have my topics open with a Resource Manager window. I use the RM toolbar icon to bring it up, or use the Insert menu to bring up the Tab I want.

For conrefs, additional work is being done behind the scene to filter out content from the view. Let's say you have Type=Topic and Show=Valid Elements. The View will not only go through the contents of the Drive but it will "weed out" anything that doesn't match. So this understandably takes a little more time. Now the topics aren't looked in until you drill down into a topic, but then the same process happens.

So, the filtering helps give you the content, but you do pay for it in a little more time when the RM is opened, or when perusing large topics, etc.You can change the filters to not do so much and then do the filtering yourself, and that may help. (meaning if the insert button is not active, then the item is not "legal" to add)

So you might want to check what is being populated in the RM View when it is slow, and some of these other items.

Thanks.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1

When a topic is opened, the Resource Manager is filling in the contents of view with the Drive / CMS according to the current "Look in". If this is a slower network drive, or a drive with many, many items, then this can take some time.

If I am not in the mode of inserting xrefs, links or conrefs, then I do not have my topics open with a Resource Manager window. I use the RM toolbar icon to bring it up, or use the Insert menu to bring up the Tab I want.

For conrefs, additional work is being done behind the scene to filter out content from the view. Let's say you have Type=Topic and Show=Valid Elements. The View will not only go through the contents of the Drive but it will "weed out" anything that doesn't match. So this understandably takes a little more time. Now the topics aren't looked in until you drill down into a topic, but then the same process happens.

So, the filtering helps give you the content, but you do pay for it in a little more time when the RM is opened, or when perusing large topics, etc.You can change the filters to not do so much and then do the filtering yourself, and that may help. (meaning if the insert button is not active, then the item is not "legal" to add)

So you might want to check what is being populated in the RM View when it is slow, and some of these other items.

Thanks.

Top Tags