cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Visit the PTCooler (the community lounge) to get to know your fellow community members and check out some of Dale's Friday Humor posts! X

Licensing Error Gui points toward non-existent host ID

GregV
4-Participant

Licensing Error Gui points toward non-existent host ID

Used ipconfig and requested a license for one of the physical addresses.

Received license from PTC

After navigating to the license, the Licensing Error gui said, "If you need to obtain a node-locked license, your machine’s host ID is required. The host ID for this machine is XX-XX-XX-3C-7A-00.” (I put in the "XX's")

XX-XX-XX-3C-7A-00 is not in the ipconfig list of laptop's physical addresses, but anyway, 

I requested a new license using “XX-XX-XX-3C-7A-00.”

The license does not work because it is not a physical address for the machine.

This also happened to another user a few years and the host ID at that time was identical to the one we are seeing now  - XX-XX-XX-3C-7A-00. Different user, different laptop, different year. PTC sent me a new license from the list of physical addresses I submitted then. Now, they are not understanding my issue and resent me “XX-XX-XX-3C-7A-00.”

What am I doing wrong?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Thanks for coming back to share the update! So for machines that would usually be on VPN to access Arbortext, they should be on VPN when the host ID (MAC address) is captured for licensing purposes.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

This can get complicated if the host machine has multiple NICs. If you have a node-locked (fixed) license then the ID has to come from the desktop machine, if you have a concurrent/floating/registered user license then you have to install it on a license server using the host ID from the license server machine instead.

In case of doubt, it's always best to use the PTC cpu_id.exe tool to calculate the correct host ID.

https://support.ptc.com/appserver/wcms/standards/ssl/freefull_cskdb.jsp?im_dbkey=90575

A wild guess, but this Mac could be related to a virtual VPN NIC, likely from Cisco software.

Could it be that you grabbed the Mac while connected to VPN and then trying to use the license with disabled VPN?

Did you try to use the license with VPN on?

GregV
4-Participant
(To:DmitryTsarev)

We do use Cisco AnyConnect. I had the user give me their ipconfig data and had not considered the laptop’s state at that time (VPN, wireless, wired).

Sounds like I need to ensure that the user is connected to the network. Then run ipconfig /all.

The ipconfig shows 5 host IDs. 4 say Media Disconnected.

I put in a license request for the remaining Ethernet adapter Ethernet:

It is not accepted and then a physical address is supplied in the Licensing Error gui that Is not on this machine.

I requested a license with that rogue IP, and then the Licensing Error gui came back telling me to use the same rogue IP as before. The one that’s not on this machine.

Really sounds like I need to sequester the laptop, connect to the network, and then request a license 5 times until one of the listed Macs work.

GregV
4-Participant
(To:GregV)

Thanks for the feedback. It seems to be a must to have the laptop connected to the VPN/network when looking at the ipconfig /all and installing the license for that physical address. Now, lets see if I remember this when i do it again 6 months from now. Thanks again.

Thanks for coming back to share the update! So for machines that would usually be on VPN to access Arbortext, they should be on VPN when the host ID (MAC address) is captured for licensing purposes.

Top Tags