cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get called away in the middle of writing a post? Don't worry you can find your unfinished post later in the Drafts section of your profile page. X

Link without ID?

ebheadrick
1-Newbie

Link without ID?

Hi everybody,

Is there a way to make a link toan elementthat does not have an attributedefined in the DTD as an ID? I don't think so since I found this in the help files "Supported links are to the id of another element in the same document". But I wanted to ask here just incase I missed something.

Ellen

5 REPLIES 5

Hi Ellen-

It depends what you are publishing (and how), and how important it is to
have the support of the built-in link tools in Arbortext.

If you're using XSL to produce HTML output, and/or XSL-FO to publish
PDF, then you can do what you want. (There may be a way to do it with
FOSI too, but I never tried it so I can't say either way.) But, you
won't be able to use the standard Arbortext link/link target buttons,
and you won't be able to double-click on a link element to find its
target in the Editor window, you won't get warnings about missing or
duplicate ID's, etc.

If you can live with those limitations, then you can do what you are
describing.

--Clay

Hi Clay,

Well we do use PE to publish our PDFs which is where we wanted the links in, so it is a no go. I have some other ideas that I will pursue.

Ellen

It would take some fancy FOSI footwork to accomplish this, if it is even possible. I'm not sure, I'll give it some thought because it's an interesting problem, but no promises.

Good luck!
Suzanne

Well, we use PE to publish PDFs, but in our authoring schema there are no attributes defined as "ID" or "IDREF". Of course, we post-process our XML and the schema for our FOSI/PDF generation does re-define "id" and our reference ID attributes as ID/IDREF. We do this for authoring as our custom schema has to allow duplicate IDs to support reuse. When the XML is post-processed all duplicate IDs are made unique, so there are no FOSI tricks involved.

Dave

Dave,

This is the problem we have and the direction I was thinking of going, because we also do a lot of post-processing. Thanks for the confirmation.

Ellen
Top Tags