cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Learn all about PTC Community Badges. Engage with PTC and see how many you can earn! X

Linking between PDFs

ptc-953926
1-Newbie

Linking between PDFs

Adepters:

I'm trying to get links from one PDF to another to work, but am having limited success. I think I'm doing everything stated in the Arbortext documentation, but still no joy. Of course, the documentation is geared toward users of Document (Arbortext?) Architect, which we don't have, so I might be misinterpreting something.

We are using Arbortext PE 5.3 patch M120 in direct-to-PDF mode.

The print doctype has these entries in the DCF file:

<target element="part" id="id" primary="no"/">
<link element="linkURL" uri="address"/">

My target PDF has a part element coded as:

<part id="id383723">

My referencing PDF has a linkURL element coded as:

<linkurl address="xps_user_guide.pdf#nameddest=id383723">Some text</linkurl>

When I generate the two PDFs, the linkURL in the referencing PDF works, but only to open the target PDF (xps_user_guide.pdf) at the beginning. I want it to open at the named destination.

The "id" attribute on <part> is of type "xs:ID" (we use XML schema for validation).

Anyone see anything missing or that I'm not doing correctly? Any suggestions?

Dave Hintz
Siemens
5 REPLIES 5

Can you try using xps_user_guide.pdf#page=4 or something similar and see if this works? I am not suggesting that you switch to using page numbers, I just want to isolate the issue.

If page works and nameddest does not, it looks like we did not correctly output the named destination in the target PDF. And you should file a call with our support people.

If on the other hand, this has the same effect, I would take a closer look at your links in the source PDF. Maybe something unexpected is corrupting them? Especially around the # character.

John Dreystadt
Software Development Director
Arbortext - PTC
734-352-2835
-

Same result. Just opens at the beginning. However, I tried generating the PDF locally (we have Styler). Then it worked just fine. So, it's only when the PDF is generated on the PE server that it isn't working. Any thoughts?

Dave

Just to clarify. The target book was built on the PE server, so it must be doing the name destinations correctly. It's the source book (the one with the linkURL) that doesn't work when generated on the PE server -- built locally it works.

No but now I would definitely refer it to support. Sounds like a bug on our side.

John Dreystadt
Software Development Director
Arbortext - PTC
734-352-2835
-

OK, thanks for your help John.
Top Tags