cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - New to the community? Learn how to post a question and get help from PTC and industry experts! X

Multiple stylesheets on one document

akamaruzzaman
1-Newbie

Multiple stylesheets on one document

Is it possible to have multiple stylesheets for one document? If it is then how can I do that?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Arbortext Editor uses a batch formatting process driven by a stylesheet that is designed to quickly and consistently format all documents that follow the same DTD -- including documents that have not yet been written. This is a different from interactively formatting every document, such as in Microsoft Word and desktop publishing systems, and it takes some getting used to. However, since interactive formatting is inconsistent, labor-intensive, error-prone, more time-consuming, and more expensive, the advantages of batch formatting are soon evident --  and appreciated.

If you intend to publish a book, you need one stylesheet that formats the entire book with all its chapters as well as front and back matter. More about that later.

First, if a particular chapter should be formatted differently from others, that chapter needs to be distinguished so the different formatting can be automatically applied. A Styler stylesheet can be coded to recognize the following distinguishing conditions: an element's content; its context (location within the document structure); its position (first chapter, last chapter, etc.); an attribute setting (such as <chapter role="special">); or the results from XPath or scripting.

Re: developing a book stylesheet, hopefully you will find that one of the chapter stylesheets contains enough of the desired formatting to make a good starting point. Styler documentation is available from its Help menu. I suggest you also search Styler Help for "modules," which may be useful to you. Also, note that .style files can be edited in Arbortext Editor, including copying and pasting tags from one .style file to another, just like in an .xml document.

Your book stylesheet can be used to format the Edit window display when a chapter is authored, even if the chapter is in a file entity. However, I believe authors deserve a stylesheet designed just for the authoring process, a stylesheet that uses a font designed for screen display in an easily readable size that minimizes the need for time-wasting zooming and scrolling. In Arbortext Editor, Format>Select Stylesheets... provides a way to specify different stylesheets for authoring and publishing. The set stylesheet command can also be used for this purpose.

Good luck!

Suzanne

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

Hi Anisah,

What kind of stylesheet? Styler? FOSI? XSL-FO?

Suzanne Napoleon

www.FOSIexpert.com

"WYSIWYG is last-century technology!"

I'm not sure which one to use so I'm working on both freeform XML and docbook.

What kind of document are you trying to publish with Arbortext Editor? What version are you using?

Suzanne

I'm trying to publish an XML document and I'm using arbortext editor 6.0.

Hi Anisah,

Is the document a Parts Manual, Training Manual, Service Manual, Reference Manual, User Manual, or something that isn't a manual?

Why did you choose the DocBook DTD?

Why do you want to use multiple stylesheets?

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

The document is more like a procedure manual.

Actually this is my first time using Arbortext so I'm a bit rusty with how to use it.

For different chapters for the procedure manual I created separate files for example chapter one is file 1 and chapter 2 is file 2. And now I want to combine it all into one book but problem is that I've used different stylesheet settings for each chapters so the format is all over the place. So I'm wondering if I can keep individual stylesheets for those chapters in one document.

Hi Anisah,

The short answer to your question is no. But a workaround may be possible. What kind of stylesheets are you using? XSL-FO? FOSI? Styler? If Styler, are you using the FOSI or APP engine?

BTW: In another discussion, Tim Phelphs mentioned creating a file entity for each chapter, which I think would be ideal in this case.

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

I'm using Styler and the APP engine.

I've created file entities for each chapter. So here is another problem, I want to insert a header and footer on certain pages but it seems that it appears on all the pages. How do I solve this?

Arbortext Editor uses a batch formatting process driven by a stylesheet that is designed to quickly and consistently format all documents that follow the same DTD -- including documents that have not yet been written. This is a different from interactively formatting every document, such as in Microsoft Word and desktop publishing systems, and it takes some getting used to. However, since interactive formatting is inconsistent, labor-intensive, error-prone, more time-consuming, and more expensive, the advantages of batch formatting are soon evident --  and appreciated.

If you intend to publish a book, you need one stylesheet that formats the entire book with all its chapters as well as front and back matter. More about that later.

First, if a particular chapter should be formatted differently from others, that chapter needs to be distinguished so the different formatting can be automatically applied. A Styler stylesheet can be coded to recognize the following distinguishing conditions: an element's content; its context (location within the document structure); its position (first chapter, last chapter, etc.); an attribute setting (such as <chapter role="special">); or the results from XPath or scripting.

Re: developing a book stylesheet, hopefully you will find that one of the chapter stylesheets contains enough of the desired formatting to make a good starting point. Styler documentation is available from its Help menu. I suggest you also search Styler Help for "modules," which may be useful to you. Also, note that .style files can be edited in Arbortext Editor, including copying and pasting tags from one .style file to another, just like in an .xml document.

Your book stylesheet can be used to format the Edit window display when a chapter is authored, even if the chapter is in a file entity. However, I believe authors deserve a stylesheet designed just for the authoring process, a stylesheet that uses a font designed for screen display in an easily readable size that minimizes the need for time-wasting zooming and scrolling. In Arbortext Editor, Format>Select Stylesheets... provides a way to specify different stylesheets for authoring and publishing. The set stylesheet command can also be used for this purpose.

Good luck!

Suzanne

One can associate a style sheet for each type of output, Editor View, Print/PDF, HTML, Web HTML, HTML Help, etc.. Is that what you want?

Are you wanting to use style sheet modules to create a style sheet?

There a 3 types of composition, FOSI, XSL-FO and APP.

.style files are used for all 3 forms of composition

.fos files are for FOSI composition

.xsl files are for XSL-FO composition

.3f files are for APP composition

One cannot mix the types, although .style files are designed to handle all 3 forms of composition.

Top Tags