cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

PE fixed license problem

ptc-953926
1-Newbie

PE fixed license problem

Adepters:

We had to rebuild our PDF server due to some OS problems and subsequently had to return our license and request a new one (the server code changed after the rebuild). I've opened a serious call with PTC as after I turned in the old license, it won't give me a new license. Furthermore, it appears from their list that it would be giving me a floating license, rather than a fixed license. We've always used a fixed license, but I can't get the license server to give me any kind of license.

Anyone else had problems getting a license recently? We're using PE 5.3 M190. So far I haven't heard a peep from PTC in regards to my open case.

Dave Hintz
Siemens
4 REPLIES 4

Dave,

PTC has rebuilt their licensing system since the release of Arbortext 6.0 products. Consequently, if there is any glitch in your maintenance records with PTC, the various options won't be there.

In addition to that, the method in which you navigate through the License Manager has changed dramatically. You now return your license, get your new server code and then go to the screen to get a license where it should have a list of the products you currently have a maintenance agreement intact on. There will be two listings for the Editor. Choose the one that has 5.3 listed in the drop-down. When you get to the next screen, you should see the option to select an Editor Fixed key. Any of the 5.x Fixed Editor listings should work for you, depending on when you bought the license.

The difference on the screen between Fixed and Floating (or Concurrent) is that the Fixed licenses don't have an option to fill in a field for the number of licenses you want since there is only ever 1 to be had on a Fixed license.

In answer to your question about Fixed/Floating, none of that has changed. They remain very distinctly, two different types of license keys. You still get your server code from the machine you're trying to license. You'll get a key immediately on the License Manager, as well as one will be e-mailed to you.

Hope this helps,

Bob

David,

You can use a floating license as if it was a fixed license. Just not the other way around. I remember that there is a FAQ link at the license site that may have some new info. I recently used the new interface for our ELAN 5.3 licenses and it works fine. I also retrieved some IsoDraw FlexNet license packs and they worked also.

Susan Fort (VP of Arbortext Development) is interested in problems with the new licensing setup. If you still have a show stopper you might want to drop an e-mail to her (

Expect license deliveries to take longer than in the past, too. After a
recent fix to the new license administration software (PTC server-side) my
license return time was reduced to ~14 minutes.

On Tue, May 17, 2011 at 12:24 PM, Esslinger, Andy W
<->wrote:

> David,
>
>
>
> You can use a floating license as if it was a fixed license. Just not the
> other way around. I remember that there is a FAQ link at the license site
> that may have some new info. I recently used the new interface for our ELAN
> 5.3 licenses and it works fine. I also retrieved some IsoDraw FlexNet
> license packs and they worked also.
>