cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Stay updated on what is happening on the PTC Community by subscribing to PTC Community Announcements. X

Preferences File Name

ptc-3050150
1-Newbie

Preferences File Name

What file are the preferences stored in?

I have a writer that trashed his custom settings so much I can't even open his preferences. Be easier if I could just cut and paste mine and start all over.

Thanks,

John T. Jarrett CDT
Senior Tech Writer, Integrated Logistics Support, Land & Armaments/Global Tactical Systems

T 832.673.2147 | M 832.363.7234 | F 832.673.2376 | x1147 | -<">mailto:->
BAE Systems, 5000 I-10 West, Sealy, Texas USA 77474
www.baesystems.com
10 REPLIES 10

For Epic 5.1 preferences are kept in 'epic.wcf'. Don't know if it has changed with the program name.

-Bill

It depends on what version you are using. They keep changing the name. With Epic Editor it used to be epicprefs.acl and then in 5.2 it was epic.wcf and I think now it is arbortext.wcf. Each should be in your "home" directory, wherever that is.

The name of the file changes with the version. Arbortext.wcf or epic.wcf in recent versions. I have no clue what the default name is for Arbortext Editor 5.4.

Default location is in the user's home directory, but I use the APTPRFWCF or APTWCF environment variable to force all of the preference files for my users to a central network location so I can troubleshoot problems (at this location home directories are not readable by anyone except the user/owner).

Set APTWCF= \\server\sharename\\PRF\%ComputerName%.wcf (or I suppose it could be %UserName%.wcf)

I have two versions running on different machines and the %SysID% environment variable is the same as %ComputerName%.

Hope this helps,

-Andy

[cid:image002.png@01CB84B4.0BC439A0]

[cid:image001.jpg@01CB84B1.09E71C90]Andy Esslinger LM Aero Tech Order Data
(817) 279-0442 1 Lockheed Blvd. MZ 4285
(817) 777-3047 Fort Worth TX 76108

I'm using 5.4 M040

The help files say Arbortext.wcf as well, but I don't have one and all the wcf's I can find are not what I'm looking for. Most are in \lib or application\ditaorwhatever\lib.

John T. Jarrett CDT
Senior Tech Writer, Integrated Logistics Support, Land & Armaments/Global Tactical Systems

www.baesystems.com

John,

Try

Help à About Arbortext Editor à Session à [Session](tab) à Preferences File (table row entry)

for full path and file name of Preferences File.

--Jack

ajordin
4-Participant
(To:ptc-3050150)

John,

You could try the following bit of acl from the epic command line....

eval get_preferences_path(1)

This will return the path that will be used when writing the preferences file.

Adrian Jordin
Senior Consultant

Mekon Ltd.
Mekon House, 31-35 St Nicholas Way, Sutton, Surrey SM1 1JN.

If you have networked home folder, the .wcf file wouldn't show up on a desktop search.

Thanks Adrian, Jack and Ed...you were all right:

C:\Documents and Settings\john.jarrett\Application Data\PTC\Arbortext\Editor\arbortext.wcf

John T. Jarrett CDT

www.baesystems.com

I believe that by default this folder in your Documents and Preferences
area is hidden.

..dan

> I'm using 5.4 M040
>
> The help files say Arbortext.wcf as well, but I don't have one and all the
> wcf's I can find are not what I'm looking for. Most are in \lib or
> application\ditaorwhatever\lib.
>
> John T. Jarrett CDT
> Senior Tech Writer, Integrated Logistics Support, Land & Armaments/Global
> Tactical Systems
>
> T 832.673.2147 | M 832.363.7234 | F 832.673.2376 | x1147 |
> -<">mailto:->
> BAE Systems, 5000 I-10 West, Sealy, Texas USA 77474
> www.baesystems.com

John,

In answer to your original question, as many have mentioned, the Help => About... => Session is the most reliable way to quickly find out where the user's preferences file is located. Once you find it, you can modfiy it with a text editor. However, the easiest way to "reset" the user's environment is to simply delete the file. Arbortext will automatically build a new one based on the defaults. Once you have an operational Editor for the user, you can go to Tools => Preferences and click on the Advanced button to individually set values that you may have unique for your installation.

On a side note, if you care to control that file, you can, through an ENV variable, control it's location. This would include putting it on a server where all users could point to. Then, through access rights, control the modifying of the file. That way, all users start with a known point. They all can modify their settings once Editor is started, but they wouldn't be able to save them. Good control for consistency.

HTH,

Bob

Top Tags