Publishing Engine's Tomcat integration got "lost" due to Windows resource shortage (p
Have any of you seen an established Publishing Engine "lose" its integration with Tomcat?
We had an incident recently when a stable, long running Publishing Engine implementation (5.3 m110 to give you the "vintage" of this server), suffered an outage that left it crippled at the application level. The server responded to ping but we could not make Remote Desktop connections, Tomcat was unresponsive, and, of course, PE and Dynamic Link Manager were unavailable.
Support restored Windows services (I think by rebooting, but I'm still waiting for them to confirm that's the action they took) and Tomcat. Publishing Engine (and DLM), however, did not come back. After a few minutes of plunking around, I realized that Publishing Engine had "lost" it's Tomcat integration. I reestablished the integration through the PE Config application and everything returned to normal.
I did some research into errors I found in the Windows Events logs and there was a loose suggestion that the errors I was seeing could be the result of the exhaustion of Windows "handles". We have also had SISIDSService.exe (a Symantec application) consuming a lot of CPU lately.
Anyhow ... just wondered if anyone had seen this or something like it before.