cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - Did you get an answer that solved your problem? Please mark it as an Accepted Solution so others with the same problem can find the answer easily. X

Running a trace on editor

JasonBuss
1-Newbie

Running a trace on editor

Many moons ago, there was some discussion about troubleshooting performance issues, and someone had posted a command line string to fire up the Arbortext trace and set the level of debugging, but I can't find it anywhere.

Anyone have that written down so I can be smart enough to write it down?

Also, I've noticed I haven't seen any adepters traffic since Thursday?

Thanks,

-Jason
4 REPLIES 4

[1]

Found this in the archives:

Bless you, kind sirs...

When adepters goes quiet for more than a couple of days, I start to wonder if there's a holiday I missed out on...

Not sure if this adds much of anything, but here are some notes I've kept on this topic:

<h2>Tracing ACL execution</h2>

There is little to no formal documentation of how to run ACL traces under the editor. Primarily information on how to do it was gleaned from posts to the adepters forum on ptcuser.org.

1. You can use the a "
    That is, on the editor's command line, to direct trace output to a different location than the default of an editor popup window, you can enter a command like:

• "

• For editor 6.0, it was located under folder path "

• For versions of the editor prior to 6.0, it was located under folder path "

• -or-

• " filename;" where you substitute a valid file system path (no blanks) for the " filename". Specifying a " filename" will direct output to that file. Here's an example: "

2. You can use the a "

1. "

For reference, the following information was found in a copy of the "Arbortext® Styler™ User's Guide" under the major topic of "Performance Profiling for Arbortext Styler
or FOSI Stylesheets:"

How to Output Diagnostic Information
In general, diagnostic information can be output to a nominated file using the command line instruction set debug=diagnostic type,=filename,
where:

• diagnostic type is the type of information you wish to output, either a full set of those available or a specific type (see Diagnostic information types for a list of types)

• filename is the absolute path to the file where the diagnostic information will be written. The filename must not contain spaces.

The debug instruction is usually activated via the Arbortext Editor command line while the document that appears to contain a problem is open. Note, though, that if you are trying to find out why a document is slow to open, the instruction must be given before the document opens to have any effect.

<h2></h2>

In Reply to Jason Buss:

Bless you, kind sirs...

When adepters goes quiet for more than a couple of days, I start to wonder if there's a holiday I missed out on...
Top Tags