cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - When posting, your subject should be specific and summarize your question. Here are some additional tips on asking a great question. X

Scheduled Publishing at Set Time.

BenjaminCoast
9-Granite

Scheduled Publishing at Set Time.

Hi there, I'm researching if/how you can schedule a publishing job through the publishing engine. 

For example, Someone has a really large document that takes hours to publish, we would like to able to hold off on publishing these until say 9:00 pm when everyone's left the office. 

I've been looking through some documentation I found online and if i'm understanding it correctly, it looks like it needs to be custom made with Java. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

For this use-case the standard approach is to have a regular job queue and a bulk (background) job queue. You can dedicate resources to each queue e.g. 5 subprocess workers to the regular queue and 1 subprocess worker to the background queue. You can then set this up such that large jobs are processed in the background job queue. What decides that it is a large job? If you want PE to make that decision then yes, you will need some Java or ACL logic. Otherwise if the users are manually queueing jobs and know they have a large job I think you can have the user select which queue the job should be processed by.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3

For this use-case the standard approach is to have a regular job queue and a bulk (background) job queue. You can dedicate resources to each queue e.g. 5 subprocess workers to the regular queue and 1 subprocess worker to the background queue. You can then set this up such that large jobs are processed in the background job queue. What decides that it is a large job? If you want PE to make that decision then yes, you will need some Java or ACL logic. Otherwise if the users are manually queueing jobs and know they have a large job I think you can have the user select which queue the job should be processed by.

That is what we are doing. I have set up a tool bar menu (thanks Gareth) to select  the print queue. That way the author can choose.

Bryon

Thank you for your response. We ended up not needing this functionality after all.

Top Tags