cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Community Tip - You can change your system assigned username to something more personal in your community settings. X

Setting up floating-license for Arbortext Styler 6.1

ptc-4765794
1-Newbie

Setting up floating-license for Arbortext Styler 6.1

I'm currently running into issues installing a floating-license for Styler 6.1

Our goal is to put this floating-license on a server. I'm having difficulty following the instructions here though to request one: https://www.ptc.com/appserver/cs/view/solution.jsp?n=CS34725&source=portalrecommended.

On the request license page, which values do I need to put in for PTC Host Id and Host Name? Do I need to put the server address or Host ID for the field "PTC HOST ID"? Then what do I need for Host Name?

Also, is there any software I need to install on the VM to get the licensing to work? I know the older 5.4 had Arbortext Licensing Administrator.

3 REPLIES 3
rdiaz
5-Regular Member
(To:ptc-4765794)

I'm no licensing expert, unfortunately, but I know if you try to start up the Editor without a license, you get an error dialog. Within it, you should see a HOST ID, which is what you want to use for that field. For the Host name, it's whatever you want, just an identifier so you know who has which licenses.

I believe in 6.0 and above, you need a FlexNet license server, similar to the License Admin, but I'm not familiar with setting that up.

If you are installing a floating license for 6.1 then you will need FlexNet Licensing Server software, available for free from PTC. You then need to obtain a license file to install into FlexNet. This license file will contain the licenses that are made available to client applications (such as your Styler).

For the license file, the hostname should be a name that identifies the server to yourself or your company's administrators. The actual server name is a good idea. The Host ID is the important part to get right. The Host ID is the MAC address of your server, and the easiest way to generate this is to use the cpu_id.exe tool supplied by PTC. Note that you will need to run this on the licensing server machine, not the Styler client machine. This will get you the Host ID of the server in the form 00-11-22-33-44-55.

Once you lodge the request with PTC you should expect an email with your license files within 15-20 minutes.

Kevin,

Has this issue been answered?

How was the issue resolved?

Tim

Top Tags